Chapter 21: Eetu

I take a deep breath and knock on Anna's door. Caspian answers.

"Anna's down at the beach with Davy." He looks a little downtrodden while saying that.

"Oh, um, actually, I wanted to talk to you."

"Why?"

"I need some advice, can I come in?" I put my hands in the pockets of my pants.

"Yeah." Caspian steps aside and lets me walk past him. "So what is it?"

"I've been thinking about Cora."

"Well, I would hope so, you're living with her and-"

"No, I mean, I really like her. I- I don't know if I'd be happy going back to Yna leaving her here."

"So are asking if you should stay or what?"

"I don't know anymore!" I put my head in my hands. "I just- I love her."

"Okay, woah, you've known her for like three months. Let's just slow down, think this through?"

"You knew Davy for a week!" I double back at him.

"Yeah, and look at how that's working out for me! I'm never going to get anywhere with him, okay? You come to me asking for advice, then you turn on me?" Caspian looks about ready to cry.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

He sniffles a little and wipes his eyes before any tears can fall out. "Well, how are you getting back to Yna? Maybe you can ask her if she wants to come with you, and then you can take her back, let her stay for a while, and if she hates it, bring her back."

"Crap! I never thought about how I'm getting back."

"We'll take you." He says it as barely more than a whisper.

"Caspian, are you sure?"

"Hey, you crossed the ocean for me. I feel like the least I can do is bring you back."

"I'll go talk to Cora about it." I nod my thanks and turn to leave again. "Oh, ...C-Caspian? Can I call you Cas?"

"Yes, you can call me Cas."

"Do you remember how you said you're no ones favorite?"

"Yeah?" He raises an eyebrow.

"You're wrong. You're my favorite brother."

"I'm your only brother."

"Cas, what that means, is that, even though you're younger than me, I look up to you." I hold my breath while I wait for his response.

He looks toward the ground for a minute before launching himself at me, wrapping me in a bone-crushing hug.

"I think the last time we hugged like this was when you were eight." I laugh as I return the embrace. "There was this big thunderstorm, and it was the oddest thing. The thunder wasn't what scared you, it was the lightning. The sudden flash of light scared you and while Mother and Father were helping the servants take cover, you came running into my chambers and we hid under the blankets, just like this. You ended up falling asleep when I went to get you something to eat."

"I don't remember that." He hasn't moved, and hugs me tighter.

"We used to be close, Cas. It's sad that you can't remember that, or that you don't want to. But we loved each other."

"I know. Now, go talk to Cora, I've got to get down to the beach." Caspian breaks the hug and gives me a sad smile.

"I will." I turn and actually leave this time.

"Hey! Where'd you go?" Coraene gives me a quick kiss when I return.

"I went to talk to Cas." I slip my jacket off and loop it over one of the hooks on the door.

"What'd he have to say?"

"Well, I've got my ride to Yna sorted out." I feel a sharp sting in my heart when I say that.

"Oh." Coraene looks down at her feet. "That's... uh, that- that's good, right?"

"Yeah. It's a good thing."

"Okay." She blinks rapidly and her voice becomes strained.

God, Eetu, could you be any more awkward? Just ask her.

"Hey, don't get me wrong! I'm happy for you, I am." Coraene speaks first. "It's just... I'll miss you. I actually really liked having you here."

"I liked staying here." I take her hands and kiss the knuckles. "But, I'm sure my parents are scared stiff, and I really should be getting home." I see the way she reacts when I say the word "home." She's right. I don't like to use that word to describe Yna either.

"What if I go with you? Just for a couple months?" She perks up, looking into my eyes with a childlike excitement.

"I would love that." I break into a wide smile as she stands on her toes to kiss me.

"You could lean down and make this easier for me." Her laugh makes my heart soar.

"Where's the fun in that?" I lift her up gently and let her cling to my chest like a baby bear.

"Don't make me regret coming to Yna with you, sir."

"Oh, Cora, I love you." I say it without thinking. My blood runs cold as she processed what I said.

"I love you." She finally responds with the words I so desperately wanted to hear.

That night was probably the best night I've had since arrived in Cirn. And next week, I'd be back in Yna and everything would go back to being perfect.