Sixteen-stop

"Hey, how ya feelin?" A familiar voice says from beside me

"Hey, how ya feelin?" A familiar voice says from beside me. I look over to find my twin brother Antonio smiling down at me, his eyes are bloodshot.

"Tonio?" I breathe out. He ruffles my hair with his hand, acting as if nothing is wrong in the world.

But everything is.

My sister just threw herself in front of an arrow to protect me and it cost her life.

"How long have I been out," I say, now noticing how my throat feels like sandpaper, I clear my throat to no avail. Thankfully Antonio understands and hands me a glass of water.

"Ehhh, a few weeks..give or take..?" He says unsure of my reaction.

"WEEKS!" My upper body catapults itself off the cot, causing the machines to beep at me in protest.

"Woah there, take it easy" Antonio tries to push me back but I won't budge. "They put you into a medically induced coma so you wouldn't relapse into a crippling depressive state, they started weaning you off of the medication at the beginning of the week."

"Look...I feel fine, can I please get out of here?" I look around...something is missing.

Derek.

My heart drops.

But he's the one who held me back, he has to be alive...

Unless he went back out there.

The beeping of the machines beside me mirrors my inner conflict, my heart beating at an unhealthy rate.

"Derek, Antonio, where's Derek?" I immediately question, looking to the many chords tangled up with my limbs, trying to figure out how to take them out so I can look for him.

Do I have a catheter in?

I gag uncontrollably when I lift up the covers, seeing the answer to my question.

Gross.

"I'm right here" a deep voice says, coming from the door.

"Derek" I can only manage to breathe out. His face cracks into a bright, contagious grin as he walks over to me.

I hold my arms out, awaiting his embrace but he ignores them, instead grabbing my face, bringing me into a soft kiss. I find my arms slowly relaxing as my hands overlap his.

We pull away but still rest our foreheads against each other's.

Antonio ruins the moment by clearing his throat. We both give him a pointed look.

I'm glad Derek is alive but...

"Derek, dear, could you get the nurse and tell her to unhook all these devices from my body" I say in a sickly sweet voice that piques Derek's attention. He quickly follows my orders, looking like he's seen a ghost.