AFRICAN DREAM ROOT

JESSICA

As Sam leaves, he gives me one last kiss and makes me promise to lock the door behind him. I do as he asks, my mind already wandering to how I'm going to get a piece of this demon's essence so I can use the African Dream Root.

I plop myself on the ouch and turn the T.V. to the cooking channel, and absently watch a chef visit different diners, trying all the food they're known for. My mind wanders, thinking of different possibilities of getting a hold of a piece of the bitch. My eyes absently jump to different things around the living room as I think, when my sight lands on something out of place. I get up to inspect it, approaching the yellow powder warily. What the hell? It smells like rotten eggs. My head whips back at the offending smell.

I go and find my phone. I take a picture of it and send it to Dane asking him what it is. I only have a few minutes to wait, before I get a response.

DANE: That's sulfur residue. Demons tend to leave it behind when they leave a place. Is that in your living room?

ME: Yes.

While I wait to see if he has more to say, I go to the kitchen and get a small plastic bowl. I go back and scoop the sulfur into the bowl.

DANE: We've had some research done, and found that you can trace a demon's location with the sulfur they leave. It's a part of them.

Ding. Ding. Ding. That's the winning answer.

DANE: Will you save it? We can use it to locate and possibly summon her.

ME: Already saved :)

DANE: Awesome. Thanks. Talk to you later?

ME: Of course.

I put the phone down and go get the African Dream Root. No time like the present to give this a whirl. I make a tea with the roots, then drop a little bit of the sulfur in it. I take the concoction to my bedroom, setting it on the bedside table. I sit down on the bed and take a deep breath. I don't know how this is going to work, but something has to give. I can't let her be out in the world killing people.

With my nerves steadied, I take the glass and throw it back. It tastes like shit.

The next thing I know I'm standing at the end of the bed starting at my body lying awkwardly on the bed. It doesn't take long before everything goes hazy red. I nervously glance around, waiting for her appearance.

"Foolish girl. You think you can take me on alone?" Her voice sounds behind me. I whirl around and she's leisurely leaning against the door frame. "You really don't want to do this." She warns, as she pushes off the frame and heads toward me. I back up a little before catching myself. I square my shoulders, and stand my ground.

"I'm not scared of you." I tell her, and I realize it's true. I'm not scared. I'm infuriated. Infuriated that's she's targeted me. Infuriated at the sheer number of people that she's killed.

She reaches out and backhands me, snapping my head to the side. I didn't fly back like what usually happens. I tilt my head and turn to look at her. There's a look of mild surprise on her face, which she quickly masks.

I ball my hand into a fist and fly it at her face. She raises an arm and block my attempt, using her other hand to lunch a punch to my midsection. I double over, all breath knocked from me. She uses my current position, and holds my head aiming a swift hit with her knee to my face. I fly back on my butt, landing hard. I'm winded, and wish I had some kind of weapon to fight her with.

I look over at my side and a gun appears. Hmm. Guess I'm controlling this dream. I lunge for the gun and aim quickly, pulling trigger in a single breath. It hits her in the shoulder, but doesn't do any damage. I toss the gun to the side, obviously useless. I scramble to my feet, and assume a crouching tiger position, fists in front of me. I wait for her to approach before I launch myself at her middle. We both go down and I immediately start punching her in the face. She just laughs underneath me, and bucks, causing me to fall above her head.