EMERGENCY LIGHTS

A/N: Trigger warning. There is assault in this chapter.

-Jessica

We feel the rail start to slow to a stop, so the four of us get up and stand by the doors, waiting for them to open so we can exit.

As soon as we're off, we wait at the light to cross the street to get to the parking garage. When the little green walking man pops up, we make our way across the street.

"Cara, Belle, want to come to brunch with us and Memaw tomorrow? It'll be fun. Mimosaaaaas. Bloody Maryyyyyys," I draw out the last syllables to make alcohol more enticing. I mean, it doesn't really need the extra appeal, but...

"Sorry, chica, we cant," Belle says, her dark eyes looking regretful, "Mom and Dad want to have a family meal together."

"Oh boy. Anything important?" I ask. I know the only time they have family meals is when there's an announcement.

"Don't know. They won't say," Cara says with worry in her eyes.

I look over at Kriss, and she's looking at the twins, chewing on her lower lip with worry. "We'll just pray everything is going to be okay," She says with false enthusiasm.

We make our way through the mostly deserted parking garage. It's pretty creepy actually, and I'm glad I got my girls with me.

I finger my keys in my hand, adjusting them so they poke out of my fist like Wolverine claws, my phone in my other hand, as we walk through the empty parking spots.

Kriss notices what I'm doing and puts her hand in my shoulder, "Calm down a little, it's going to be fine." I nod my head, but I can't let go of this feeling. I can't shake it. It's bad. Something bad is going to happen. I can feel it. I shudder, trying to shake it off. Shake it off. Damn it! Now I sound like Taylor Swift.

"Well, now isn't this a happy coincidence," I hear a male voice sneer. "Guess it was meant to be."

The four of us turn around. Fuck. My. Life. It's Affliction.

"Well, well, if it isn't Roid Rage. You come for more insults?" God damnit, Kriss! Now is so not the time for your LMS bullshit, I think to myself. I knew something was going to happen.

Affliction's face goes red, "You're going to pay for embarrassing back there," he says as he cracks his knuckles.

I look at Cara and Belle, and they are completely terrified. I wave at them to get their attention,  "Go get help," I whispered, keeping eye on Affliction, "call 911."

They don't hesitate and taken off. I turn my attention back to Kriss and Affliction. I step between them for the second time tonight, and give Kriss a look that says shut the fuck up. I look at Affliction, "My friends went for help, so I would think twice about doing this."

"What are you going to do about it? Your boyfriend isn't here to save you this time," he says, coming towards me. As his hand reaches out to grab me, I grab his wrist, twisting to the inside of his body as I duck under his arm, ending up behind him, facing his back. I waste no time kicking him in the back of the knee, making his leg collapse, and causing him to fall to his knees.

I let go of his wrist, and reach up and box his ears, knowing the pressure in his head would cause him pain. I turn around to grab Kriss and race to the car.

"Oh my god," she pants as we run, " I can't believe you," pant, "just did," pant, "that." Her shorter legs are having a hard time keeping up with my long ones. She stumbles and I barely catch her. That's when I hear heavy foot falls behind us.

I take a quick look back and realize Affliction has recovered. I hit the red alarm button on my key fob, but we're apparently not close enough to my car, because I don't hear my horn going off.