PROPHECY

JESSICA

I let myself into my apartment, dropping everything onto the little table inside the door, and immediately plop myself on the couch. I'm exhausted, so I think better of it, and go to the kitchen to make my mixture. I'm not trying to tangle with a demon today. I drink it down, then plop back on the couch. I'm not sure I'm capable of doing anything other than plopping at the moment. My mind is awhirl, thinking about all the information I took in today. Between learning about The Academy, doing research on the demon, and finding about the other supernatural beings out there, my brain is fried. It's only eight p.m., but I need to close my eyes for a few minutes, then I need to call a family meeting.

About an hour later, I open my eyes, not really feeling refreshed, but at least I'm not exhausted anymore. I grab my phone and send a group text to the girls, Matt, and Memaw asking them if they are free tomorrow night for a get together. It doesn't take long for a response from Memaw.

Memaw: I'd love to. Are you cooking?

Me: Of course. Any requests?

Matt: Chicken piccata. I laugh. This is Matt's favorite thing I make, outside of Memaw's lasagna.

Me: LOL! I should have known you would say that. Done.

Belle: Cara and I will bring wine. What kind should we bring?

Me: A crisp white. A pinot would go really well with the piccata.

Memaw: It's plan. See you all tomorrow night. Love you!

Everyone responds in kind. A couple of minutes go by, when I get a message from Matt out of group.

Matt: What's going on Doll? How the hell do I answer that? He's the only one I haven't told yet about the supernatural aspect.

Me: What are you doing right now?

Matt: Not a damn thing.

Me: Want to come over for a bit? I know it's late, but what I have got going on is too much for a text conversation, and I don't want to tell you over the phone.

Matt: Sure, babe. Be there in 10.

I set my phone down, and get up to use the restroom. When I'm finished, I wash my hands, and get a good look at myself in the mirror. I look tired. After Matt leaves tonight, I'm going to crash and let myself sleep in tomorrow. I change into sleep clothes, and pad back to the living room to wait for Matt. It's not long before I hear his key in the lock. He comes in and closes the door behind him.

"Oh, Honey, you look terrible," he tells me as he sits down next to me. He throws an arm around my shoulders and pulls me in for a side hug, and I squeeze him back.

"Thanks," I deadpan. "You sure know how to compliment a girl."

"I like boys, remember?" He teases.

"Yes, Matt, I remember you like boys. It's one of the reason I like hanging out with you. We can man bash together. Speaking of man bashing, want to? I have a whole heaping helping of shit going on right now, and I could sure use my gay BFF's advice."

"That's what I'm here for, Jess. Let me get us something to drink and the you can unload on me." He gets up and a couple of minutes later comes back with a couple of beers. "Alright, Sugar, tell Daddy all about it."

"Only if you promise to never call yourself Daddy ever again." I laugh out.

"Done deal," he replies. So I do. I unload everything on him, the demon, the guys and their psychic, the trip to Wichita, everything. He takes it all in stride, like I'm just talking about the weather.

"You took that awfully well."

"Well, Sugar, you can't lie, so what you're telling me must be true. I don't really know what to think about all of it just yet, it's going to take me some time to absorb it all, but what I do know is that you've been through hell, and that things can only get better."

"Want to stay with me tonight? I kind of don't want to be alone, and I can show you the pictures of the stuff we found today in Wichita." He nods his head in affirmation. I move to get up and my shirt bunches up on my arm, and Matt touches my upper arm.

"I really love this birthmark," he says while gently touching the heart shaped mark I was born with.

"Me, too," I say adjusting my shirt. "Come on, let's go to bed. I need to make my mixture first, so ahead and get ready and I'll be right there." He heads to my bedroom and I make my mixture in the kitchen and drink it. After rinsing out my cup and setting it in the sink, I follow. We all keep clothes at each other's places, so Matt is lying on my bed in some sleep pants and nothing else. It really is a shame he gay, because the man is fine, but I'm also glad he is, because I can snuggle and sleep with him without worrying he has something else on his mind. I get in bed and cuddle up next to him. I fall asleep to him gently stroking my hair.

LEO

We arrive back at our apartment, and file in. I'm still a little blown away by her demand that we not contact her. I can tell my brothers are also feeling it. We congregate in the living room, ach of us taking or usual places.

"So what is it you found, D?" Sam asks.

"It's a prophecy. In Latin, so Leo, you'll have to take a look at it. I could only make out a couple of words, one of them being 'fear' which is why I snapped a picture of it." He hands me his phone with the picture pulled up. I look at it for a few minutes, translating in my head. My heart drops in my chest, because I really don't want this to be about the person I'm pretty sure this is about. I keep my suspicions to myself for now.

"Well, here's what I come up with. It definitely is a prophecy, and we'll have to go to the bunker to do some more research."

"What does it say?" Dane urges.

"To kill Fear, the fair and strong, with a heart on her sleeve, must take the white way."

"So it's talking about a woman." Sam says. "It says 'with a heart on he sleeve' not that she wears her heart on her sleeve. Definitely interesting wording."

"I'm curious what 'the white way' means." I add.

"Well, lets not try to digest all of this tonight." Dane says. "Let's get a good night's sleep, and we'll head to the bunker tomorrow with everything we gathered. We'll put our noses to the grindstone and see what w come up with." With that said, we all disburse to our own rooms. As I'm getting ready for bed, my mind s brought back to earlier in the car when she convinced me to sing. I don't sing in front of other people. Period. But something about her had me belting out my favorite song. I hope she doesn't stay away too long. I'm already attached, and I'm sure my brothers are, too.