NIGHTMARES

Jessica

After my shift at the shelter, I go to the gym for a workout. Working with the weights today, it's going to be intense. After my workout, I go back home. After letting myself in and locking up behind me, I go to the kitchen and grab a bottle of water, downing half of it as I walk to my bedroom. I shed my clothes and go to the bathroom to draw a bath. This day has been exhausting, emotionally and physically. I'm just going to soak in a hot tub before going to get dinner with the girls. I sink down in the hot water, lay back and relax and let out a huge yawn. I'm going to have to grab a Red Bull before dinner if I'm going to make it through the night.

I wake up freezing. Great, I fell asleep in the tub again. I use my toes to unplug the tub and let the water out. I reach for the towel as I stand up and dry myself off. As I wrap the towel, I walk into the bedroom and everything goes hazy red. I am so fucking sick of this shit. I am over it. She can't hurt me here. I look around and don't see her in here. I walk into the hallway and make my way to the living room. There she is. The normal terror I would be feeling at seeing her isn't there. Now I'm just pissed off. She has Pretty Boy by the neck, holding him up in the air. There's blood dripping down his face from a wound on his forehead. He has a terrified look on his face.

"Put. Him. Down." I'm seething with rage. I know what I'm seeing is just an illusion she coughed up for her own enjoyment. She just cackles, a high and annoying sound. Did that really frighten me before? "I said put him down!" I yell at her. The fake, injured Dane disappears, and she glides over to me. It only takes a split second before she is right before me, her hot breath in my face. She backhands me, which sends me flying backward into the coffee table. I land with a loud crash, pain exploding up my left side. I quickly look down, assessing the damage. A large, jagged piece of glass is sticking out from my hip. I quickly look up at her face, glee apparently showing.

"Oh ho ho! Looks like I can hurt you here. You might not be afraid of the things I show you, but you should be very afraid of me! I might not be able to touch you out in the real world, but it's PAINFULLY clear that in our little dream world, that isn't the case." She leans down and wraps her hands around my throat. "Here, I can hurt you all I want, and I want to." My lungs are burning from not being able to take in a breath, the pain in my side radiating with every move I make trying to claw her hands away from my throat. I feel a wet warmth under me, my brain going hazy from loss of blood and oxygen. This isn't how I die. "You think your three men can protect you from me? Don't think I didn't notice I couldn't get to you last night! Nobody can protect you for long! I'm getting stronger by the day! Your mind might be strong during your waking hours, but in here, in here you're vulnerable to me!" I'm passing out from lack of oxygen and there's a ringing in my ears...

I bolt straight up in the bathtub, my phone ringing next to me on the toilet lid. I manically check my side and throat. Nothing there. The phone stops ringing as I shakily grab my towel to wipe the water from my face. It immediately starts ringing again and I scramble for it. It's Bella. How the hell long was I out? I note the time. Holy shit! 2 hours?! My phone stops ringing again and immediately starts ringing. I answer with a trembling voice.

"Hey Bella."

"Girl, where the hell are you? We have been waiting over thirty minutes for you! It's not like you to be late!"

"I'm sorry! I fell asleep in the tub. You calling me woke me up, but I don't think I'm going to make it now. I'm not feeling well."

"Aww babe! Can Cara and I bring you something? Do you need anything?"

"I'll be okay, I think. I just need some rest. Obviously, not in the bathtub." I force out a little laugh.

"If you're sure," she says hesitantly.

"I love you for caring, but I just had a really long day, and just need some good sleep. I promise."

"Okay, Jessie. If you're sure. Just let us know if you need anything at all. We'll be there. Love you!"

"Love you, too, Mama. Give Cara a big hug for me,"

"Will do," she says then hangs up.

I immediately send a text to Sparta.

Me: I fell asleep in the tub and had a confrontation with her.

Sparta: Are you ok?

Me: Physically yes. But mentally no. She fucked me up.

My phone rings.

"What happened?" He asks me, short and to the point. I proceed to tell him everything that happened.

"I am so sorry, Jessica. At least you aren't actually physically harmed. I know it seemed like it at the time."

"I'm not worried about me! I'm worried about all the people she is going to kill! She is planning more just to get herself stronger!"

"My brothers and I are working. We're trying to figure out a way to stop her in her tracks."

"I don't know what you are coming up with, but it's not fast enough! She was literally killing me in my sleep, and if my friend hadn't called me on my phone, I probably wouldn't have woken up. She called the three of you my protectors. What the hell is she talking about?" There's some hesitation on his part. He doesn't speak for a few moments.

"I don't know what she's talking about. Sometimes demons have knowledge the rest of us don't. I don't know if it's some pre-determined knowledge on their part, or if they have access to seers, but sometimes they know more than we do."

"Can we table this for tomorrow? I just want to take my mixture and actually get some decent sleep. I had a very buy day, and that's why I fell asleep in the tub. I am physically unharmed, and if I take that mixture I know I can get some good sleep. It worked really well last night."

"Of course, Bear."

"Bear?"

"You're as strong as a bear, and just as tenacious. It's a good nickname for you. You don't take shit from anyone. I've noticed that about you." Huh? "Anyway, please call one of us in the morning. I don't care which of us you call. We are worried about you with Fovos, as she seems to have a vendetta against you. Please don't take any chances."

"I won't. I promise. No chances taken here. I will take my mixture before I go to sleep. I will definitely call tomorrow."

"Okay. We will do some research tonight. Get a good night's sleep. Please."

"I'm on it. Talk to you tomorrow." I hang up. I get some sleep clothes on. I go to the kitchen and make my mixture, downing it. I go to my bedroom and fall into bed, a dreamless sleep awaiting me.