SICKNESS AND ANGELS

JESSICA

It's been a week since my road trip with the guys. I never did have that get together with the family, either. I ended up getting the flu. I slept so much, I ran out of my mixture and had to send Memaw to the guys' office to get me some more. I knew deep down, that even with me not speaking to them, they would care enough to not want me to have to face the demon in such a weakened state. I know they talked about something, because she was gone longer than the forty-five minutes it would have taken her to drive there and come back, but Memaw wasn't forthcoming with that information.

While I was sick I did some more research on African Dream Root. It's real name is Silene capensis, and it's used to induce vivid dreams. Xhosa shamans regard the plant as a type of "Ubulawu" or medicinal root that they call "Undlela Ziimhlophe," which literally translates to "white paths" or "white ways." Basically the shaman used it as a way to see prophesies. There are several websites where you can buy it, but unfortunately, they don't ship outside of Europe. Which just means I will have to figure out a different way to get it. I bet the guys can get their hands on some, but the way they reacted when I just casually mentioned it, makes me think they won't be very forthcoming with some. I'm not giving up, though.

Right now, I'm relaxing in a bath, trying to get my body back to normal after being sick for so long. The flu generally drains you, but being sick for a week sucked balls. The water is cooling off, which is my cue to wash up and get dried off before I get sick. Again. I stand in front of the mirror and used my hand to wipe away the moisture. I lost weight. Weight I couldn't really afford to lose. I'm going to have to eat lots of carbs to get it back. Heartbreaking, I know.

I blow-dry my hair, and put on some foundation to cover how pale I still am. I head back into my bedroom and grab clean clothes. I'm still not leaving the house, so it's just simple workout leggings, and a pullover hoodie. I slip on some ankle socks to keep my feet warm and go to the kitchen. I finally have an appetite, and I'm about to carb load. I pull out some frozen marinara sauce. Whenever I make it, I make a huge batch and freeze some in batches. I put on a pot of water to boil, and put the frozen marinara into a smaller pot to heat. Once the water is boiling, I dump in some penne noodles. While that's all working, I butter some thick bread and add garlic powder, oregano, and mozzarella cheese, and pop that into the toaster oven. Once everything is perfectly cooked and dump it all onto a plate, add some parmesan cheese, and go to the living room.

I set my plate on the coffee table and sit down in my armchair. I grab the remote and turn the T.V. on and turning to The Food Network. I grab up my plate and begin eating, all while watching Alton Brown talk about Good Eats.

DANE - ONE WEEK EARLIER

As I sit on my bed, my eyes closed, my head in my hands, I try to clear my mind so I can pray to Castiel. My mind keeps wandering to Snow, and how she asked us not to contact her until she contacted us. I just have to push all that to the backburner for now. We have to find out who the current prophet is. I shake my head and mentally get myself together.

I take a deep breath and cast my thoughts out to Castiel. Castiel, if you can hear me, we need your help. We're at the bunker, not that you wouldn't be able to find us. If you can come help, we would greatly appreciate it. I take a deep breath, and leave my room.

I go back to where the guys are. They must have went and grabbed the Demon Tablet while I was calling Cas, because Sam is staring at it like if he looks at it long enough it will magically change into English. I chuckle to myself.

"Hey, man. The thing isn't going to magically translate for you the longer you stare at it. Sam's dark skin flushes with embarrassment. He reaches a hand up and rubs the back of his neck.

"I didn't really think it would, I was just staring at it, lost in thought."

"I'll bet I know exactly where those thoughts were." I say with a wink.

"Hello Dane. Sam. Leo." I hear a gravelly voice say behind me. I turn and see Castiel standing there. We have anti-angel warding all over the bunker, but we managed to finagle it to let Cas through. "You need my help." This is a statement, not a question. He's standing there, a curious look on his face wearing the same thing he always wears. Black slacks, a white button down dress shirt, a black tie, and a brown trench coat.

"Yes, please." I tell him. "We are going against a demon, and found a prophecy. In finding the prophecy, it referred us to the Demon Tablet. Now, obviously we can't read it, so we were hoping you would be able to track down the current prophet to help us read it."

"I'll do what I can," he says and disappears.

"Never one for very many words, is he?" Leo states. It wasn't a question that really needed an answer.

Now we just wait for him to get back to us. I hate the waiting game.