chapter thirty five.

an. updating a day early so you have something to read during tomorrows read-only update! the trailer is at the top of the chapter :) enjoy!

Hungry | Luna

Luke had slept the entire time he was transported to the nurses office. He also remained asleep as he was laid in the backseat of Jacks car. Luke was asleep when I returned to his house after school had ended and he was still asleep when I woke up on Thursday morning. If it wasn't for the puffs of air he blew on my face whilst I snuggled into him during the night, I might of thought he was dead.

It was nearing twenty four hours of non stop sleep, he hadn't eaten nor had he used the bathroom. He was completely comatose and I was worried about him, I knew he was in pain but I wasn't sure what exactly was wrong. And he was too busy trying to protect me to care for himself and let himself have a break. I was glad he was catching up on sleep, letting his body relax and his brain take it slow for awhile.

I sat at the edge of the bed, my fingers tracing over Luke's hand. I felt as if I were perched on a hospital bed, staring down at a dying loved one. However there were no drips or tubes coming from his body.

It was moments like these where I wished I had the ability to read minds, to see what was going on inside Luke's brain. Maybe he was just tired, the end of the term always dragged out making students sluggish, but maybe there was something drastic going on in his life that he hadn't told me about. Maybe he was stressing over Josh Masons text message.

I wanted Luke to wake up so I could tell him that he needn't worry about that situation, how I felt like Alexis had zero intention of antagonising me any time soon after my slightly emotional breakdown in front of her yesterday morning. The look on her face had spoke thousands of words; guilt, shock, sympathy, weariness, the list could go on. My genuine tears had triggered something in the brunette, a soft spot. Seeing me cry had made Alexis feel a little more human, and I was pleased.

Alexis wasn't a bad person, and I wouldn't wish death upon her if I could. But she had treated me poorly, and I had retaliated as defence, did that make me just as cruel as her? Yes, it did. The girl who roamed the schools halls as if she were the younger, less wrinkled version of the Queen, was still a human being and I wasn't stupid enough to assume she didn't have feelings of her own. Yes, I believed her personality was a façade, in order to appear stronger and more powerful to her peers, but behind the wall of spite, sarcasm and sluttery was a person no different to myself. Like I had told Luke before, if she hadn't caused me so much mental and emotion damage over the past eight years then maybe I'd be friends with her.

Luke's hand shifted, leaving my own hovering above the duvet. I sighed, it was nearing seven. I still had an hour and half to waste, but I still had to change out of my pyjamas and head downstairs for breakfast. The more I thought about it I was ravenous, I'd barely eaten dinner last night after being too worried that Luke might die whilst I was curled up on the sofa with a salad. However it had been a great bonding experience for me, chatting with both Liz and Jack since Luke wasn't there to shelter me from the two.

I stood up from the mattress, the springs popping back up from my lack of weight. I pulled my dressing gown tighter around my body as I tried my best to fight the cold air circulating Luke's room. I couldn't wait to get downstairs, or even onto the other side of Luke's closed door, where the heat of the light fireplace moved around all the crevices of the home. I slipped downstairs, humming with joy at the warmth that cascaded my body and I let my dressing gown fall open as I opened the refrigerator.

Liz had really gone the extra mile in the last two grocery trips. I may have only been a vegetarian but she was scared she might accidentally buy something that didn't fit my specifications as a vegetarian and therefore insisted on buying everything with the label 'vegan'. That included the delicious pre-make pancake mix in a bottle that sat in the lower tray of the fridge. It had been my holy grail for the last two weeks as I made the fluffy pancakes every few days as a treat between soggy cereal and fruit.