chapter ten.

Cliché | Luke

We sat in the basement for the next ten minutes deviating a plan on how to; 1) convince Karen and Daryl to let us go out, 2) sneak a bottle (or three) of alcohol from the alcohol cupboard in the kitchen where there was 30 adults and 3) where exactly we were going and what to do. The rough idea was that first we would offer to do the dishes in exchange for them letting us go out until midnight, then as the dishes were nearly complete the four of us boys would perform a song for the adults while Luna and Harley finished up and snatched the alcohol. From there we would leave and head to the industrial part of town where there was a lot of construction happening and we would climb a crane and then go onto one of the roofs of the half-built buildings and drink a little bit and chill for awhile. Then we'd mish out to the nearest lake (a thirty minute walk) and there we would spend the rest of our time setting off fireworks, drinking and getting high.

I had only ever been high once, at Courtney's party and my experience was somewhat enjoyable. I don't remember a lot of it but I remember sitting in a circle with the boys and feeling like I'd just entered That 70s Show. I was surprised to hear that Luna smoked marijuana though, Harley I'd kind of expected, but Luna didn't seem to be that type to me. I felt like she probably didn't rip bongs or bake hash-brownies, they probably just sat back and had a few puffs and talked about deep stuff.

I wanted to talk about deep stuff with Luna. Preferably without weed, but if I had to get high to get through to her inner layers, then I didn't mind.

"Plan hashtag-cliché commences now!" Michael chirped and everyone clambered to their feet and got into position. First Harley and Luna would pack a bag with fireworks and weed while us boys convinced Michaels parents, then the girls would drop the bag at the back door (which was in the kitchen) and come in and help us do the dishes.

Before I knew it, us four boys were set up at the far end of the living room, away from the kitchen. Ashton was sitting on the box drum, Calum had a bass hanging across his body and Michael and I had our guitars. We all looked at each other, we'd played in front of teenagers before, but never adults. It was a completely different demographic.

"Okay so we don't have a band name yet," Michael chuckled, "but this is a cover of Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus."

We played the song effortlessly and just before the final 'oh yeah, dirtbag' I saw Luna peek around the corner of the kitchen and give us two thumbs up. I grinned at our success and then at the guests who were all clapping and cheering us on. "Thank you!" Ashton grinned, tapping on the box quickly, "and now back to your regular adult conversation."

We dragged the instruments back to Michaels room and then ran out to the front lawn to meet up with Luna and Harley. I stopped next to Luna and looked at her and she stuck her tongue out at me playfully, I could tell she was excited, and honestly so was I.

"I hope you're all wearing walking shoes," Harley declared, and I looked down to see my scruffy all-black Converse that were now slightly tainted brown. No doubt by the end of the night they would be in even worse condition and my socks would probably be damp and gross. I looked over to Lunas feet, she had a pair of brand new looking blue adidas Stan Smiths. My eyes ended up trailing up her entire body as I took in what she was wearing; black leggings, a white long sleeve shirt and a puffer jacket vest over top. I mean, I had seen her today at school but only now I took it in and man, she looked beautiful. Especially in comparison to me, wearing ripped black jeans and a black tank top with a red plaid shirt over top, I probably looked like a right reject.

My eyes met her own as I finished eyeing her and she raised her eyebrow at me, caught out. I looked away and she chuckled under her breath and suddenly the group was departing and walking through the Cliffords front gate and out onto the street.