chapter thirteen.

Cupcakes | Luna

I arrived home around three in the afternoon after Mum had called the Cliffords landline asking for me. I was hoping to be able to stay at Harleys for a second night but it turned out we had our own guests coming for the evening, my aunty and cousin. Mums sister was pretty much identical to her, they were both bohemian and free spirits but my aunty, Cayenne, was a little more hot-headed and not as laid back.

I was spread out across the sofa in the living room when there was light knocking on the door, I huffed and pushed myself up, knowing that in a few seconds Mum would call out to me to get the door either way. "Luna-". "Got it," I pulled open the door and Cayenne automatically wrapped her arms around me and I inhaled the scent of cinnamon and other spices, a warm and inviting scent, "Aunt Cayenne, it's so nice to see you again," I chirped, and my eyes travelled across to my cousin who was standing to Cayennes left, Zion. He was towering over the both of us, his black heair hanging in his face as his dark eyes bored into his mother and I. The chain of bullets hooked to his belt swayed in the breeze creating an unnerving clanking noise and the sole of his steel-cap boots shook the ground as he stamped his foot impatiently.

Cayenne finally let go of me and pushed past, inviting herself into my house, and Zion and I were both left standing on the front porch. I sighed, and Zion flicked his hair from his face, "I bought cupcakes," he exclaimed, pushing a tray of pink frosted cupcakes under my nose and I nodded and took the tray from him, tilting my head towards the door to invite him inside.

I headed into the kitchen and dumped the tray on the counter island and leaned against the marble surface, listening into Mum and Cayennes conversation as they took turns tossing a salad. Zion stood next to me and mimicked my position and I glanced over at him, "the boys are outside."

"You smell like dope," he said under his breath and I groaned, pushing myself away from the counter and back into the living room. Not getting the obvious hint that I did not want to talk, Zion followed me and sat down in the arm chair and rested his boots on the coffee table.

"What?" I muttered, pulling my phone from my pocket to seem disinterested.

"There's only allowed to be one drug dealer in this family," he chuckled, "and that's me."

Zion attended the same high school as me, but he was the year above so we never really saw each other. Even though I never saw him it didn't mean I didn't hear about him, because teachers and students were always chasing him up. Students were always trying to find him because he was the go to guy for drugs in the entire school; weed, lsd, molly, crack, morphine, you name it and he could get it. Of course teachers didn't know about his little 'side project' but his 'side project' took up a lot of classtime and he was constantly truant.

I squinted my eyes at him and knitted my brows together, "I'm not a drug dealer."

"Why do you smell like dope then? Been holding onto it for someone else? I told you that Clifford girl was bad for you," Zion shook his head as if he was disappointed and I groaned.

"Stop acting like my Dad," I chucked my phone on to the coffee table and it bounced against Zions shoes. He kicked the phone back my way and sighed, "yeah well your fathers as useless as tits on a bull, fucking prancing around naked all day, so is your mother really, and mine," he huffed and leaned back further into the chair, "it's just you 'n' me aye? Gotta look out for each other in this cruel world because those three dipshits never leave the house and look at the real world."

I rolled my eyes and Zion continued, "they need to stop pretending everything in the damn universe is perfect just because they can heal people with their boujee bullshit. So that's why I'm here, to protect your ass from the reality of the shithole that we call the world. Now, why the fuck do you smell like dope?"