chapter twenty seven.

Red | Luna

Never had I ever felt so embarrassed in my entire life. Walking across the school to the girls locker rooms and into the shower covered in thick red slime was the equivalent to performing the walk of shame across a University campus, although I couldn't personally compare. Thankfully, students were still in class, so my audience of the walk itself consisted of very few stragglers and slackers, but the initial bucket tipping was witnessed by nearly three hundred people. The minute the shower door closed behind me, I burst into tears.

I turned on the water and it shot out at me with such pressure the slime essentially just flew off my body. The only thing I was slightly appreciative of right now was that the person who did this to me had the decency to not go all out with pig blood and settle for something less scarring.

I cried and cried as I attempted to scrub the red tint from my skin, but it wouldn't budge. It was the middle of winter and it looked like a had an inconsistent sunburn, great. If there was one thing I wanted to resemble it was definitely not the fucking devil. The slime was clearly some Youtube tutorial rip off with excessive amounts of red food colouring and glue.

There was a knock on the door and Harleys voice came from the other side, "hey babes, I have some clothes and a towel."

Straight after I ran over the group in the hall sobbing Ashton and Harley had rushed to Ash's car to go to my house and pick up some clothes for me. Since the music showcase had replaced my P.E. period I hadn't packed my sporting wear that I could change into but luckily Ashton had driven today.

I eased the door open and Harley held out the towel to me and I gratefully took it before retreating back into the cubicle. She gave me a sympathetic look and shook her head lightly, "oh Loo, I'm so sorry. If it makes you feel any better Josh was caught and he decided to dob in the other three so they're all in deep shit. Potential expulsion."

I peeled off my clothes and replaced them with the ones Harley had picked out for me, a grey turtleneck and high waisted jeans. Atleast my entire body would be covered so no one could see my bright red arms. Once I was dry and comfortable I exited the shower space and entered the changing room.

"Oh Luna," Harley gasped and I cringed.

"What? Is my face red?" I patted my face, trying to feel any slime residue but Harley shook her head.

"No, it washed off with your makeup. It's," she paused and bit her bottom lip, "it's your hair."

Oh God no. I dropped the damp clothes in my hands and grabbed my hair, pulling strands in front of my face to inspect. My platinum blonde hair had been dyed a vibrant shade of red thanks to that God awful motherfucking food colouring, not to mention it felt like paper due to the glue. My hair was destroyed, at this point I was willing to just shave it.

My bottom lip quivered, my hair had never changed, it was like a security blanket it a way. I hadn't even realised how comfortable I was with my hair until now, and now I stuck out like a fire engine on a busy road.

A tear escaped my eye and Harley threw herself at me, wrapping her arms around my body as I sobbed into her shoulder. "Hey now," she whispered, "it's okay. It'll wash out in no time, and for the record it looks kinda dope. Now you match Mikey and I in our dyed hair gloriousness."

I smiled at her, grateful that I had a best friend like her in times like these. I never imagined needing her in a situation like this though. I was naive to think that after confronting Alexis in the hallway last week she'd back off like in every teen film, but instead I'd clearly aggravated and now all she saw was red, and quite literally so did I. Every inch of me screamed payback, but the small corner of my brain told me to leave it, as karma would get her back in her own time.