I paused by Zeke as Caspian carried her upstairs. Resting a hand on his arm, I met his eyes and took a deep breath. He copied me. We did this a few more times before following the others inside.

I found the others piled around the guest room. Caspian had laid her on the bed. Peter quickly shooed all of us out. I knew he was right, but I didn't like not being able to see her, to watch the rise and fall of her chest. What was this feeling, this connection?

I stormed downstairs, finding solitude in the kitchen. I wasn't alone for long. My twin found me quickly. He said nothing as he leaned against the cabinets beside me.

"Well, this wasn't what I was expecting to find when we got back," Kent said. I snorted. No shit.

"I'm drawn to her," I confessed. I couldn't deny it, even if I wished it didn't exist.

"I feel it too," Kent said, surprising me. "I think we all do."

"I don't like it." He chuckled.

"I don't think Fato de Sorte considers what we like or don't like." I agreed. We would have had much different lives if it did. Kent sighed and ran a hand through his hair. I noticed then the black peaking out of his collar. I knew it would match mine. "What do we do?"

I answered honestly. "I don't know."

"Do you think it's them?" he asked lowly. I knew who he was talking about immediately.

"I don't think so," I replied, thinking it through. "Even they wouldn't mess with Affinitas." It was the most sacred thing in our society.

A door opening and closing and footsteps overhead signaled that Peter was finished. It was time to have a meeting. I shared a look with my twin before heading for the living room. Everyone was already there, waiting for us.

"The dog is lying with her right now," Peter told us. Lucky dog. He sighed, rubbing a hand over his face before he continued. "She's got a couple of bruised ribs. They might be cracked, but I would need an x-ray to be sure. I wrapped them which will help to an extent. Her left eye is swollen shut, and there are bruises on her face, arms, and stomach. It looks like she took one hell of a beating."

"Did you kill them?" Kent asked, looking at me. I could see the rage I still held reflected in his eyes. I shook my head. The blood thirst filling the room made my pulse pound. I needed to let off some steam.

"They aren't worth our time," Peter stated, glaring at us all. He was always the calm one, no matter what the situation.

"But what if I'm bored?" Finn whined dramatically. Most of the others groaned, including me. There were a few smiles, though. Finn was always cracking jokes. Sometimes I wished he would be more serious, but I also didn't want him to change who he was.

"Shouldn't we call in a healer?" Caspian asked. I was wondering the same thing honestly. I didn't want her to stay injured if there was a means to correct it. Glancing at my twin, I could see he looked torn as well.

"Why wouldn't we?" Isaac asked, his voice low, glaring at us.

"I don't think we should alert the Praeses to her presence," Kent replied finally. I agreed with him. Silence filled the room. Keeping information from the Praeses was almost certain death, especially if it was this caliber.

"Why?" Finn asked. He wasn't glaring, but staring more with curiosity. He knew us too well.

"I don't know what they would do."

"About what?" Finn asked, pressing the issue. Kent shifted, glancing down before reaching for his collar. Pulling it aside, he revealed his own Affinitas marking. I copied him.

"They would know what to do, though. Why wouldn't we go to them?" Isaac remarked. He was one of the few of us that still believed at least a little that the Praeses was good. My twin and I had seen the truth years ago. Peter had lived it.

"Because they might kill us to break the bond," I spoke finally. I knew my twin would want to protect them, but they should know what we are facing. It took a minute for my words to sink in.

"B-but why?" Isaac stuttered.

"It threatens their rule and the structure of our society," Kent explained. "Affinitas has never happened between Probus and Kustos and never between more than two people. It has never happened, that we know of." His words hung in the air. I knew they were thinking of the ramifications of them. I didn't want to see any of my chosen brothers, blood or not, die.

"They wouldn't hesitate to take out threats to their power," Peter confirmed, his voice cold. His eyes were distant.

"Okay, but she still needs to be healed, and we need more information." Caspian summarized. I could see his brain whirling. Everyone turned to look at Isaac. There was only one healer we all trusted. His eyes widened before he slumped forward, head in his hands.

"I'll call her," he mumbled. He snapped his head up and pointed at me and Kent. "But I'm not responsible for her. Freaking brat on a sugar rush."

His voice trailed off as he paced around the room. I headed out of the room as soon as I could. The gym was calling my name. Zeke met me down there. We both needed a good workout. It would at least distract me from the faint but constant heartbeat a couple of floor above me.

***Hope you guys like the chapter! I was moving last weekend which was why there wasn't an update. You can read up to Chapter 14 on my Patreon! The link is in my bio. There are also 5 exclusive scenes including POVs of Finn and Peter meeting Hadley! Happy Reading!!