Chapter 19

Hadley

Smoke filled my lungs as I trudged forward. Where was I? I couldn't see anything. Coughing, I kept moving. The ground felt like tar, like my feet were slowly slipping farther and farther under. I didn't know why, but I felt like if I stopped, I would never be able to move again.

"Ah child, why do you fight so much?" a voice asked me. It echoed around me like it was coming from every direction. "Surrender and be at peace."

A wave of exhaustion hit me, making me stumble, but I didn't fall. I had to keep going. I had to get back. Back where? The guys! Where were they?

I strained to remember as I moved my feet. I was in the library with Kent. How did I get here? Smoke wrapped around me, making it hard to breathe. Coughs rocked my body. Suddenly, I felt something latch onto my ankle, tripping me. I collided with the ground, hard, just managing to catch myself with my hands.

I tried to pull myself up, but it was no use. My hands and legs sunk into the ground. I couldn't pull them out. Panic seized me. I thrashed, but it was no use.

I was going to go under.

I was doing to die.

"Kent!" I screamed, hoping somehow he could hear me. "Ryder! Zeke!"

I strained my ears, but I couldn't hear anything. Only darkness, everywhere. There was only darkness. It was like a void of nothing and everything. A dark laughter swirled around me. A chill raced up my spine as my body sunk another inch.

"Caspian! Isaac!" My voice became fainter with each name. "Finn! Peter!"

Coughs wracked my body again as smoke surrounded me. I felt light-headed as I sank even further. My eyelids heavy, it was getting harder to focus. Maybe I could just rest for a second.

"That's it. Just let go, it will all be over soon." My lungs burned as I sank chest deep. The tar felt alive, pulsing around me, closing in on me. "Soon, you'll be mine."

Something burned at the edge of my consciousness. It was nothing more than a spark in the middle of a rainstorm, but it was enough. My eyes shot open.

I was no one's.

I was not some helpless damsel that needed to be rescued from a stupid tar pit.

I was not powerless.

I focused on my surroundings, trying to reach the elements. I couldn't sense them, any of them. That had never happened before. Where was I that there wasn't any-I wasn't actually here? That was the only explanation. I didn't remember anything after being in the library. I was most likely still there. This was a dream. Well, a nightmare, but still. I just needed to wake up.

"You can't escape me," the voice taunted. I smirked into the faceless darkness even as I sank another inch.

"Watch me." Instead of focusing externally, I pushed my powers inward. I'd never tried this before. If I could send my powers into others and heal them, I should be able to send them into myself and force myself awake.

Maybe.

Kids don't try this at home.

The tar pulsed around me violently, trying to take me under. Panicked, I sent my energy straight into my brain with a single command. A wave overtook me, forcing me under. I gagged as the tar fill my mouth...

_______________________

I shot up, gagging. Strong arms squeezed me into a warm body. I didn't have any time to think before my stomach rebelled. I turned to the side, immediately heaving. Black tar splattered onto the library floor. I was vaguely aware of someone holding my hair back as the heaves died down.