Chapter 17

Hadley 

"What is all this?" a rather loud voice asked, disturbing me from my amazing dream. I was sitting by a warm fire with an excellent book and some delicious tea. Joe curled up on the rug. I still felt the warmth. It felt amazing. I sank back into the warm but firm heater.

"Looks likes someone was cooking last night," another somewhat familiar voice added. Why couldn't they just be quiet?"

"Where's Isaac?" the first voice asked again, slightly frantic now. "He better not have messed with my kitchen!" I groaned, trying to sink deeper into the pleasant warmth. Suddenly, my heater started to vibrate. That was weird. Heaters don't-

My thoughts cut off abruptly as my eyes flew open, meeting shining emerald ones. The heater I had been pushing into was Isaac. My brain was still a little slow as I felt embarrassment creep up on me.

"Morning," Isaac told me with enough gravel in his voice to pave a road. He had one arm wrapped around me as we laid side by side, looking at each other.

We had fallen asleep on the porch. The blanket was still spread across us, thankfully. Though, with Isaac, I wasn't sure I would have been cold without it.

"What was that?" That was the only warning we got before the back door slammed open, making me jump. "What in the world?" I heard Caspian ask. I turned my head, squinting my eyes in the morning sun, and took in the tall figure towering over us.

"Whoa, did you guys sleep out here?" Peter asked, coming out the door behind Caspian. Their presence jolted me back into motion. I scrambled up or, well, I tried to.

"Not all night," Isaac answered as he helped me stand up. He wrapped the blanket around me like a cocoon, smiling. I held the blanket to myself, ignoring him. "We fell asleep stargazing."

I waited for the explosion of anger or jealously, but the two just nodded and headed back inside. They honestly weren't mad or jealous. I didn't feel a hint of either. Isaac noticed my confused look and nudged me toward the house, chuckling again.

We both entered just in time for Zeke to enter the kitchen as well, sporting his very own comfy and tight looking pajamas. I sat down on the stool next to Caspian. He smiled at me as I took my seat, which I returned.

"Is it time for breakfast?" Isaac asked, walking toward Peter, who I noticed was cleaning up my mess from earlier. I stood, letting go of the blanket.

"I'm sorry, Peter. You don't have to clean up my mess," I said, starting to move, but a hand on my leg stopped me. Caspian motioned for me to sit back down while Peter sent me a bright smile.

"It's no trouble. I'm thinking you had the right idea. Pancakes sound great," he told me before turning to Isaac, who was slowly approaching the skillet. "You get out of my kitchen." Isaac slumped over to the dining table where Zeke had taken up residence.

"Morning," I told him, trying to be social with them all. I still felt uncomfortable, but it wasn't as bad. He smiled back at me and return greetings of his own.

"So you went stargazing?" Caspian asked, stealing my attention. I nodded and looked down as I felt my cheeks heat. "What else do you like to do?"

I paused to think about it. It had been awhile since I had gotten to do anything for fun or just because I wanted to.

"I like to read," I started. "I used to love going swimming in this lake behind one of my old foster family's house."

That summer was one of the best of my childhood. Yesterday reminded me of it. It was amazing. I hoped we could go again soon. He nodded just as something dinged in the kitchen. Caspian stood up immediately making his way to a black coffee pot now steaming full of the scalding beverage.