Chapter 12

Caspian

"Are you ready to go yet?" I whined from the doorway to her room.

It was all in good fun, and I think she could tell by the glare I received. I glanced around the room as I waited. The design I picked out years ago when I decorated the rest of the house didn't feel right anymore. I realized it was because this room was no longer a guest room. It was her room. So it needed to be her room.

Yesterday had been a chance to recover. Hadley had a few more questions, but for the most part she was quiet. I could tell she was thinking. I would give anything for a peek into those thoughts. Whether she was really okay with staying here, whether she was planning on running again, whether she trusted us at all, I wanted to know every thought that ran through her head. I wanted to know her opinion on everything, and most of all, I wanted her approval. These feelings were strange, but I couldn't bring myself to dislike them.

"While we're out, we should look at paint and other things for your room." Hadley, who had been rushing around the room and attached bathroom to get ready, stopped in her tracks. She glanced around the room, looking wistfully at it.

"I don't have enough to get stuff like that," she said, and I could tell she is trying to hide her embarrassment. I walked over to her instantly and sat her down on the bed.

"Who said you were using your money?" I asked, sitting beside her. I knew this would be quite a debate, but I was determined to win.

"I can't let you guys buy it all."

"Why not?"

"Be-because it would be wrong and I don't just want to use your money," she managed to get out. I could tell she really didn't enjoy having this conversation based on the way her face was turning red. Was it evil of me that I liked it?

"Hadley," I started. "I have exactly three reasons that will destroy any argument you have." She raised her eyebrows at that.

"Oh, really?"

"Yep," I told her confidently.

"Okay, let's hear them."

"One, we all pool our money in this house. Between our stipend from Domu and our family histories, we have more money than we could spend in five lifetimes, let alone just this one. Two, providing for you, our Probus, is a Kustos' greatest honor. I know you don't fully understand the dynamic yet but please give us this." I paused before continuing.

"What's the third?" she asked in a small voice. With my finger on her chin, I moved her head up so that she was looking at me. Meeting those gorgeous hazel eyes, I dropped my hand and continued.

"Three, you have been dealt a crappy hand since birth. You deserve to get the things that most people in this country, in this world take for granted. You deserve to finally be treated like the miracle you are."

There was a long silence after my words. I could tell she was thinking them over. She went to open her mouth and met my eyes. I hardened my stare, knowing she was about to argue again. She sighed heavily before giving me a small nod.

"Fine, but only what I absolutely need." I burst out laughing, leaning over on the bed as she got back up. She was too cute. I nodded my acceptance of her terms. She rushed around the room again, but now I noticed her looking around more. Someone was excited at the prospect of decorating her room. I was so excited to give her this.

Joe watched her as well. It was like he could sense she was going somewhere. Somewhere without him. He didn't like that at all. He followed her as she went from room to room. It was like he didn't want to let her out of his sight.