Chapter 4

Hadley

I was pretty sure I had lost my mind. Never mind the soul-sucker or the teleporter. I just followed five guys to a mansion in the middle of nowhere.

This was how horror movies start. There was a girl somewhere yelling at me to get out now, but I couldn't make myself do it. I needed answers. I had already come this far. Honestly, if my life was a horror movie, it had started a long time ago.

The house, though, was definitely not out of a horror movie. It was more like a rom-com where the main characters live happily ever after in the end. The enormous structure and separate garage made me wonder how much money these guys had. The lawn was well maintained, and the large wooden doors leading into the house were intimidating.

My fried nerves couldn't take anymore. When Isaac came at me, I just reacted. I felt a little bad about sending him across the room.

The wet clothes had begun to feel like a second skin, so I couldn't turn down the offer of dry clothes. Peter led me to his room, and it was immaculate. I guessed he was the type to appreciate order. He blushed a little as he handed me a clean dark t-shirt and some gray sweats with a drawstring waist I could tighten to fit. He was kind of adorable.

He was the smallest of the guys, but he was still taller than me. Even though he was slim, I could see the definition of his arms. I noticed a silver bracelet on each wrist. All the guys had them. Maybe they were friendship bracelets. Maybe it was a cult thing. I guessed I would find out.

"Come down when you're ready," he told me before heading out of his room.

He closed the door behind him. I didn't know how he knew, but his words clearly showed he did. I needed a moment to myself, or I was going to have a breakdown.

Changing quickly, I sat down on the edge of the tub. I forced myself to take deep breaths as my mind tried to process everything. Tonight didn't feel real. It felt like a bad dream, but I never woke up. My breath shuddered as a single tear escaped down my cheek.

Breath in.

I was okay.

Breath out.

I was kidnapped, hurt, and rescued.

Breath in.

I was okay.

Breath out.

I would be okay.

These guys had answers. I felt a connection to them. A connection that my gut said to trust. Normally, I trusted my gut completely. It had saved my life on more than one occasion. I was questioning it, though.

Taking a few more deep breaths, I calmed myself. I stood up and wiped away any evidence. The pity party was over. It was time to get some answers.

I walked down the stairs and found them waiting in the living room. They had all changed out of the weird uniforms. Silence fell across the room at my entrance. I made my way to an empty spot on the couch next to Finn.

Peter was wrapping Finn's stomach. A little blood appeared on the bandage. His pain wasn't horrible, but I wished I felt strong enough to take it away. The rain helped, but I felt fairly certain if I healed anyone of even a paper cut I would pass out. Peter showed an expertise as he worked that made me think he had some sort of medical experience or training.

I felt their eyes watching me closely. I surveyed them in return. My gaze landed on the one I had just met. Isaac. He sat on the far end of the couch.

Bright orange curls flopped around his head in a chaotic mess. It didn't look bad though, just wild. His deep emerald eyes followed my every movement like I was the most addictive reality show. Freckles dotted his entire face. He caught me looking and smiled widely, showing off two perfectly round dimples. I immediately looked away.