forty

Shawn's POV

"Can I ask you a question?"
"What?" I snapped.
"Have you two had sex?"
"That's none of your business."
He scoffed. "I knew it, your girlfriend is a slut who cannot keep her legs closed."
I don't want to make a scene. "You know nothing about her."
"I know she still has feelings for me, she told me."
"You're lying."
"A few weeks ago she rang me up and told me that she still had feelings for me. You were banging some other chick and I thought we would get back together but the next time I see her she brings you home."
Before he could say anything else Jazz approached us.

Jazz's POV

I rushed down stairs to tell Shawn the news but stopped as soon as I saw who he was talking to. I walked over to them. "Is everything okay?"
"Yes." Sam gave Shawn a weird look. "I was just leaving" He started to walk away "And Shawn don't think too hard about what I said, you might hurt yourself."
After he walked away I turned to Shawn. "What did he say?"
"Nothing."
Shawn looked mad so I quickly changed the subject. "I have news!"
"What's that?"
"My brother just called us all upstairs to tell us that he asked his girlfriend to marry him."
"You have a brother?" He questioned
I shrugged. "Half brother."
He shook his head. "There is so much I don't know about you."
I knew something was up. "Are you okay?"
He didn't say anything.
I could feel something wasn't right but I shook it off. "He proposed last week and the wedding is already booked for next year so..."
"So?" He questioned.
"Come with me."
"To the wedding?"
"Yeah."
"Isn't it too soon?" As soon as he said those words I could feel this conversation turning into an argument.
"What do you mean?"
"Jazz I've only just met your family and I haven't even met your brother yet."
"Why does that matter?"
"Because I know if I was him I wouldn't want a stranger at my wedding."
"You're not a stranger."
He paused for a moment. "What if we-" He stopped himself before he could complete his sentence.
I raised my voice slightly. "What if we what? break up?." I scoffed. "I seem to remember the conversation we had when you promised this wouldn't come inbetween us if we broke up."
He didn't say anything.
Does he think we're gonna break up before the wedding? "So you think that we won't last that long?"
"No that's not what I meant."
"That's what it sounded like."
"I just mean, I think it's too soon. Have you even asked your brother if I can come to his wedding?"
"No but the wedding isn't till a few months." It was obvious he didn't want to go.
He didn't say anything so I spoke again. "If you don't want to go then don't, I'm not forcing you. I'll just ask someone else."
"Someone like Sam?"
"What?"
"Do you still have feelings for him?"
"Why are you asking me that? What did he say to you?"
"Give me an answer."
"No I don't."
"He said you did."
I scoffed. "And you believe him?"
"He said you rang him and told him you did. Is that true?"
"Yes but that was when I found you with Lyndsey, we weren't even together then."
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"Because it didn't matter we weren't together then and I was still getting over our break up."
"I still would've wanted to know."
"Oh yeah sure, hi Shawn by the way I'm still in love with my ex."
"So you were."
"No...well yes but-"
He walked away before I could continue what I was saying. I quickly grabbed onto his arm and pulled him back. "If I still had feelings for him then why did I bring you home to meet my family? Why did I let you touch me? Why was the first thing I thought about when Liam told me he was getting married you? I want to take you to the wedding because I want you not him." I paused for a moment to calm myself. "You clearly don't know me at all so maybe you shouldn't come with me to the wedding."
I walked off leaving him alone and went to the only place I know that will make me feel better.
I walked to the back room and closed the door behind me, I sat on a stool and then opened the piano lid revealing the black and white keys I haven't played in months. I didn't play anything in particular I just let my fingers move along the keys until I was interrupted by a knock on the door.
"Come in." I said expecting it to be Shawn but it wasn't."
"Trouble in paradise?" Sam said shutting the door behind him.
I turned to him. "Why do you care?"
He sat next to me. "Just because I'm not your boyfriend anymore doesn't mean I don't care."
I didn't say anything.
"Why are you in here? Everyone is downstairs. What are you stressed about?"
"I'm not stressed."
"Jazz come on, I know you. You play when you're stressed. What's up?"
I hesitated for a moment. "Me and Shawn had an argument."
"About?"
"Liam is getting married next year and Shawn won't come with me to the wedding."
"Why not?"
"He said it's too soon."
"Well that's ridiculous! If I was your boyfriend I would go with you to the wedding just to show you off because you'll be all dressed up and I know you will look absolutely stunning because it's you."
I didn't say anything.
"Why did you tell Shawn I still have feelings for you?"
"Because you do."
"No I don't."
"But you rang me?"
"I rang you because I was upset and vulnerable and I needed someone to talk to. All those feelings I said I had have gone, I'm with Shawn so can we just forget that conversation even happened?"
"I can't."
"Why?"
"Because I still love you."
I laughed. "What?"
He cut me off. "I still have feelings for you."
"I don't know what to say."
He held my cheek. "You don't have to say anything because I know you still have feelings for me. I love you Jasmine, I always have and I always will." He suddenly leant in and pressed his lips against mine.
I quickly pulled away. "What are you doing?"
"I want you back."
I quickly stood up. "Is that why you said all of that stuff? Did you even mean any of it?"
"Of course I did."
As soon as those words left his mouth I knew he was lying. "Then why didn't you tell me that when I rang you? I know what you're doing you only want me because I'm no longer yours."
I walked away but he grabbed my arm stopping me. "Jazz."
"Leave me alone." I freed my hand and then left.
I quickly found Dad. "Wheres mum?"
"She's upstairs touching up her makeup."
I ran upstairs and found her.
"Is everything okay Jasmine?"
"Do you have time to talk?"
"Sure." She sat on the bed and I did the same.
"I think me and Shawn are having our first fight."
"Okay, what is this fight about?"
"I asked him to come to Liam's wedding with me but he thinks its too soon and then he mentioned Sam and I think he thinks I still have feelings for him but I don't." I took a deep breath. "Also Sam just tried to kiss me and he said he still loves me so now I don't know what to do."
"Jasmine sit down."
I did as she said and then she sat next to me. "Liam has only just got engaged wait until the time is right then ask Liam if Shawn can come to the wedding and get Liam to invite him."
"You don't think it's too soon?" I asked.
"Not at all."
"What do I do about Sam?"
"You have to tell Shawn what happened. If you're honest he will understand."
I hugged her. "Thank you."
I got up and stood in the doorway. "Mum."
"Yes."
"How did you know you loved Dad?"
"I looked at him one day and for some reason I just knew."
"How will I know?"
"Jazz its still early days for you and Shawn. Why are you thinking about this?"
"I think Sam got in my head."
"Just take everyday as it comes and stop overthinking."
I smiled and then headed back downstairs with only one thing on my mind. I had to tell Shawn. I walked into the kitchen and saw him talking to Liam.
I approached them. "Hi."
Liam put his arm around me. "Jazz why didn't you introduce Shawn to me sooner, he's great."
I turned to Shawn. "Shawn can I talk to you for a moment."
He nodded and I pulled him to one side away from everyone else.
"Sam just kissed me but I stopped him as soon as he did."
He didn't look impressed.
"He was talking about how much he loves me and wants me back and I didn't know what to do so I left, I'm sorry."
"There's no need to be sorry I understand."
I let out a sigh of relief. "Can we just forget about the whole wedding thing for tonight and enjoy ourselves?"
"Sure." He pulled me in for a hug and kissed the top of my head.