Chapter XXV - Snotty Smack Down

Kenzie's POV

I couldn't sleep. My mind kept wandering back to my brother. His death was a horror to my family. Finally after hours my mind drifted off to sleep. I had no visual dreams last night, but I could hear distant voices. They seemed too far away, so I couldn't make out what they were saying. Springing up out of bed, I was jolted awake before I knew what was happening. Small amounts of light made its way from behind the curtain.

Then, I remembered what Carlos told me. Hopefully I'm not late...

Getting dressed in street clothes and a beanie, I made my way to the school garden. The school garden is typically where people go to gather their thoughts, or if the prissy princesses want to plant a flower. Hedges surrounded the garden, making it secluded. A bench sat on one of the edges. Several types of flowers thrived in there. Roses, tulips, even orchids from far away lands.

Just as I thought, I was late. Carlos was sitting on the bench when I got there. He was just... staring at the flowers, so peacefully. Normally if he is waiting for someone, he will be checking the entrance every five seconds. I didn't want to bother him, so I stood at the entrance until he noticed me and beckoned me to sit by him. I obeyed and took a seat beside him, breathing deeply before speaking.

"I'm guessing you're curious about my brother," I said, deciding that I would answer his questions.

"If you don't mind... then yes," Carlos responded, taking my hand. I was glad that he was polite and respectful about my past. He knows what it's like to have bad things happen in your childhood, except his childhood is worse. I nodded, signaling that I would answer him.

Carlos continued. "Tell me about him." He sat in silence as I began my description.

"My brother was younger than me, but was the heir to the throne. In the Pride Lands, a male cub is usually the heir. My father gave me the task of being his protector. He told me to guard my brother until he became king. I told him I would. I promised on my life that I would get him to adulthood. But my brother was a daredevil. I loved my brother, but he loved danger. He would mess around in Crocodile Lake, run with the stampedes, and even stole vulture eggs from the nests. No matter what I told him, he would keep doing stuff like that. He was out with Russell one day and..."

I could feel my eyes starting to tear up again as Carlos cut me off by pulling me into a hug. We stayed there like that for what felt like forever before someone found us. *COUGH COUGH* AUDREY *COUGH COUGH*

Audrey stared at us with what looked like disgust. "Ew, what weirdos. Just go away already, like back to the Isle," I heard her say. Carlos and I released each other and I felt rage burn inside me.

"Yeah, we're weird, so what? Being all pretty and snotty won't get you anywhere in life, Audrey. Carlos is the smartest, sweetest guy I've ever met. If anyone should go to the Isle, it's you," I scolded her. Her eyes were wide since not many people stand up to her. I heard Carlos trying to stifle his laughter, but lost it once Audrey did this weird squeal and stomped off like an angry mule. I started chuckling at the sight of Audrey, feeling a new energy in my victory.

We were both smiling like dorks while we walked to go find some food.

Summer's POV

I sat up and stretched, screaming "AAAAAHHH SAVENIAHHHHHHH!!!" in hopes of waking Kenzie up. Okay this might be weird, but you should know by now that I'm weird. She wasn't in her bed, so I got up and dressed in a plaid jacket and jeans and got out of bed, checking the calendar. Hmmm... 3 days until Coronation. I already had my outfit. It isn't super fancy, but it is a dress so it'll work. I was about to leave the room before I noticed something odd.

Scratch marks were on the wall, but I didn't remember climbing up the wall, and my claws are tinier than the marks. Kenzie doesn't morph as much as she used to, and they're above the doorway so I didn't think that Kenzie did it. I quickly turned around, and found the guilty one.

A lion stood behind me. "Kenzie? That you?" I asked, cautious. It narrowed its eyes a bit and stared at me.

I went into a defensive stance, morphing into creature form and growling. To my surprise, the lion morphed into my creature form, too. I stood there, confused.

Morphing back into human form, I asked, "Who are you?"

I was answered by the creature shifting to human form. She was a light-skinned girl with curly, fiery orange hair and piercing blue eyes. Red streaks glided through her hair. She paused for a minute before answering me. "I am Red."

"Oh, you must be one of Kenzie's friends. The one who beat up Chad, right?" She smiled when I said this.

"Yes, that's me."

"What are you doing here, anyway?"

"I am here to warn Kenzie."

A/N - Thanks for reading this chapter and for all of your guys' support!  I can't believe this story already has 1.5K views!!!  However, it is difficult to update this story since my school gives out a LOT more homework than most schools. (xxLyoness, you know what I'm talking about)  In 6th grade, our teacher would give us around one essay to complete PER DAY!  Imagine that lol.  But anyways it might be difficult to get some updates soon, and I realized that this story is getting SUPER long, so I'm going to be wrapping it up soon.  BUT, I have an idea for a new story, so stay tuned!  Also, I'm thinking about making a sequel to this.  Anyways, have an amazing day, and an AWESOME start to 2018!