Chapter XII

Kenzie's POV

I was walking back from class to my dorm when I heard voices. I decided to hide and eavesdrop because that's just what I do. I can't help myself, okay?

I noticed it was Mal talking to Carlos. Why were they talking? It sounded like Mal was angry at him for something even though he did nothing wrong.

"Do I have to remind you why we're here, Carlos? You haven't been contributing to the plan! You've been spending too much time with Kenzie. We need to stick together if we're going to pull this off! Don't forget: We're rotten..."

"To the core," Carlos finished. "I just... don't know if I want to do that anymore. Auradon isn't that bad!"

"Our parents will KILL us if we don't do this!"

Carlos thought for a moment. He nodded in acknowledgement. "I guess they will."

Wait, what are they planning? What are they doing for their parents? I need to have a serious talk with Carlos. I hid around a corner when Mal walked by, followed by Carlos. I hid behind a bush and pulled Carlos behind with me.

"WA--"

I gave him the signal to shut up. I guess Carlos could see that I was upset with him, because he curled up into a ball.

"I heard your conversation with Mal. What's your plan? What are you going to do?" I looked at Carlos, and it looked like he was debating on how much to tell me. I decided to remind him of something. "Remember, I can tell if you're lying to me, so I would recommend telling the truth."

Carlos told me about the VKs' plan. I gasped.

"You're going to release ALL OF THE VILLAINS? That will destroy us all!"

Carlos faced the ground, looking ashamed. I could tell he felt like he had no choice.

I sighed, feeling sorry for him. "Carlos, I know you don't want to do this."

"You don't understand! I don't have a choice!" he wailed.

"You do. The first day you were here, I saw the goodness in your heart. I know that you can stand up to your friends if you don't want to do this. Listen, your mother can't reach you when you're here, so you're safe. If you need me to, I'll protect you."

Carlos looked at me. I could see the gratefulness in his eyes. He stood up and gave me a hug.

"Thank you..." He whispered.

Carlos took my hand and our fingers entwined. We both walked off to the dorms.

"Hey Kenzie? One last thing."

"What is it?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to go to a movie with me tomorrow. It's Friday, so we probably won't have homework."

"Sure! Where do you want to meet?"

"I'll just pick you up at your dorm if that's okay.

"Yeah that's fine. I'll see you later!"

We walked off in opposite directions after one last hug.

----Friday----

I was laying in bed, scratching on a nearby cat post when I heard a knock on my room's door. I opened it up and found Carlos leaning against the doorframe. He had his regular outfit of white, red, and black on. He looked at me up and down.

"Ready to go, princess?" He asked, winking at me.

I couldn't help but snicker. I burst out laughing. "Dude, what was that?"

"Jay told me to do that," Carlos admitted, looking down. I brought his head back up and gave him a kiss. Then I punched him lightly in the gut, but I guess it still hurt him a bit.

"Don't call me princess," I warned him.

I ruffled his hair and led him outside. We walked to the movie theater in the afternoon sunshine. I knew that Summer was asleep. She flopped down onto the bed right as we got back from class. Typical Summer.

Once we got to the theater, we bought our movie tickets and some popcorn and got our seats. It was an action movie, so both of us would like it. In the middle of the movie, Carlos did that nerdy stretch-and-put-the-arm-around-the-shoulders thing. I just let him do it because it made him happy. I have to admit, he's kinda cute when he fails at being romantic.

After the movie, he led me to the enchanted lake. It was pretty late, so it was starting to get dark. I noticed that he had set up a radio by the water. The lake was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. The moonlight lit up the lake, causing it to have a blue glow to it. Fireflies danced in the air. Carlos turned the radio on, and took my hand. He pulled me closer, placing his hands on my waist while I wrapped my arms around his neck. We started dancing, or more specifically, swaying to the music.

It seemed like it was going to be a perfect night. Out of nowhere, a gunshot sounded. I instantly turned into a lion and ran all around the area, roaring and growling. Carlos stared at me in confusion. I morphed back into a human and walked over to him, still wary.

"Sorry... It's a habit. In the Pridelands, poachers try to hunt us. It's a constant fight to escape them, and I thought that one of them had found us." I explained, shivering with fear. I barely had any fears, but this one was overwhelming.

"Shh. It's okay, I understand." Carlos pulled me close and we sat down. He put an arm around me, pulling me closer than before. I felt safer with his arm wrapped around me, and so I calmed down. We sat in silence, watching the lake.

McKenzie's POV

I knew that Kenzie was going to come to my room. I need to talk to her about something.

"Hey, I need to ask you something."

"Yeah, what is it?" I asked Kenzie, intrigued.

"I need you to help set up Summer and Jay." After Kenzie told me her plan, I squealed with delight. What? I like squealing! Deal with it!

We got Ben to help us out with the plan. This is going to be fun...

A/N- I realize that I haven't been following the original story of Descendants, so I decided that it was time to add more details about it.  Thanks for reading and have a GREAT DAY FILLED WITH MAGICAL DOUBLE RAINBOWS!!!!