Adventures of Flight Crew #4

As the afternoon light filtered into the living and warmed the morning chill that had settled over the carpet, a spicy scent of kimchi and garlic wafted from the kitchen, leaving the tummies that wandered about curiously around the bottom of the stairs grumbling.

"I never knew Vaughn was so fond of music," said Io to his eagle friend as they came across a third music player in the span of five minutes. "Do you think he collects these?"

Luka paused, taking a moment to consider the question. "Maybe," was all he arrived at.

Io huffed, reaching up to poke the eagle's cheek.

"Very detailed answer you have there, Luka."

"I do hope that neither of you have laid your fingers on my things," came a voice from behind, startling the pair. Vaughn had emerged from the kitchen with a barista's apron tied around his waist, a watchful eye on his very first guests who had, apparently, taken it upon themselves to feel at home.

Io flashed a sheepish smile. "We'll bear that in mind."

"Have you placed your presents under the tree?"

"Yes, sir."

"Reminded your Avians to steer away from the second floor?" Vaughn narrowed his eyes.

The sparrow nodded, tugging on Luka's sleeve to illicit some form of response. "That, too." The eagle nodded after him (only less enthusiastic) before returning his gaze to Io's hair, which looked particularly mesmerizing under the shafts of afternoon light. In truth, he was waiting for the exact moment Io's hair would blanch to the shade of moon—a time of the day that he would preferably not like to miss.

"Eve!" Called a voice from the kitchen that sounded to Io strangely like Professor Viktor. "Come back here and give me a hand with the rice."

The vulture visibly froze, face drained of any color. "I said not to—ugh...yes, I'm coming." Unable to bring himself to look in the eyes of either Winged, Vaughn dragged himself back to the kitchen.

Upon turning his back on the pair, Io noticed that the vulture's ears were dashed with red. He turned to Luka with a curious gaze. "I didn't know Vaughn had a nickname."

"They sound very...close," observed the eagle within a blink, yet still unable to decipher his own observations of himself. The cupcake above could not help but shake her head at his lack of self-awareness.

Io nodded upon hearing his words. "Yeah. I've always thought they knew each other before the Order was introduced as part of the school's faculty. What do you think?"

"I think I'm hungry," replied Luka rather forwardly, recently becoming increasingly frank with Io. The sparrow had also noticed his increased capacity for humour and laughter, which was fairly endearing.

Io laughed, tip-toeing and reaching up to pat the head of his eagle friend. The latter bowed his head slightly so as to make this easier for Io. "Alright, alright. Let's be patient and wait for everyone else to come first, okay? How about we get some of the chocolate we brought into the fridge first? I'm worried that those will melt."

Luka agreed by expressing silence, following Io who drew towards the coffee table that they had placed their chocolates at upon arriving at Vaughn's. They picked up two boxes each and floated into the kitchen.

"Hello! We forgot to mention that we brought chocolates," Io announced, slightly surprised to see the professor dressed in a barista apron that matched Vaughn's, cutting up peppers in a way that fascinated the sparrow very much.

"Although fairly unexpected and unnecessary, that is very thoughtful of you." Trust the vulture to be ready with a snide remark wherever and whenever. Jae-min shot his step-brother a look, to which the latter responded by clearing his throat and looking away. "Unfortunately, there's no space for those in the refrigerator. You'd have to finish them this instant."