Locked Skies

A/N: Very long chapter. Oh well, at least its Christmas :>

*

The prey's common room was in a flurry the very next morning, creating a fervent buzz that woke even the Nocturne who had slept in despite the news of baked potatoes for breakfast. Iolani Tori was rubbing his eyes with a yawn as he entered the common room, dressed casually for his day that was technically free of lessons. Flight practicals had been shifted to the following week, seeing that the boy's Avian had yet to be confirmed and none of the staff wanted much to do with a boy who asked far too many queries and questioned every single part of the system.

"Io!"

The sparrow gazed through half-lidded eyes.

"Hi everyone..." he responded vaguely, hugging his knees close. A chill hung in the air despite the crackle of flames coming from the fireplace. "Why is everyone talking so loudly?"

Vijay pursed his lips. "It's almost time for our first period Io. Everyone's awake and talking," he shook his head. "That's not the point though—it's the three!"

"What three?" Io frowned, confused. He wanted some hot cocoa.

"You know, the three," Vijay turned to Nash (who sighed bitterly) before attempting to explain what he meant. "Those who were locked up."

"Locked up?" Io sat up, eyes wider. He, too, looked to Nash for answers.

"Yeah," the storm petrel nodded. "Nash was just...you know, talking about it over breakfast. What they did when he was in heat."

Confusion nestled in his cage with a delightful chirp, roosting in the anxious heart. "Slow down. What exactly are we talking about right now; heat? Or...the people who were locked up? And what do you mean by that—in what form? How? There's no prison in school, is there? I mean, I hope not."

Vijay shook his head at every turn. "No, no we're talking about both. It's related! Wait, I thought everything in the world was. My mom always said that."

"Wait, but how?"

Nash held up a hand and got between the two. He couldn't stand seeing two first years talk about something they knew completely nothing about. "Look, Io. For someone who thinks so much, I'm surprised you didn't know about all this."

About what? This frustrated him immensely. Sure, he was fond of looking within but that didn't necessarily mean that he knew everything.

The mynah sighed. "Prey are locked in their rooms during heat. Yeah I suppose you wouldn't know," Nash scoffed. "You were busy with other stuff all along. I doubt it'd manner to you." But Io was no longer listening as he rose from his seat and drew towards the door, wondering where Pipa was.

*

Io wasn't quite sure if he was allowed into the girls' dormitories. For all he knew, this was absolutely forbidden and yet, as he passed the many individuals on his way to Pipa's room, they never said a word.

"Morning!" A slight girl with dark eyes and olive skin waved as he ascended the stairs to the correct floor. Startled, Io wasn't able to respond accordingly. His mind—distract and still drunk with sleep—lingered upon the words that intruded upon his heart. Lock was strong. Did they really? Do they? And why? The act was one thing; its reasons, another. Reasons were as important, if not more important than the act itself for it served as a line of justification.