The Emperor's New Clothes

"他们是不可能看到的。"

Jing was right. For if Io and her were indeed of the same tier as sun and moon then surely—yes, she was right to say that they would never come close to seeing Luna, even if they were staring at her very form; directly in her face.

"关妳屁事、" the Merlin snorted, eyes remaining fixed on a completed sheet of arithmetic solutions in which he was about to copy.

The phoenix considered his offhanded vulgarity that she would have—on any other circumstance—ignored. Truth to be told, it served well as a reminder; a warning to mind her own business or she, too, would be roped into the abyss in which Io was fighting. Quite alone, she might add.

She wondered if anyone truly wished, whole-heartedly, for him to be the greatest living Nocturne. It seemed like a title worthy of a divine being and for a tiny human...merely inaccurate. Not only would he, the once sparrow, have to bear a burden heavier than any other; he would have to carry on despite the jarring disparity between his appearance and what others expected of the moon phoenix.

This, Jing thought, was what she herself had been unable to hold.

_________________________

The coronation of Iolani Tori as

the Second Eye

will commence if

and only if the participant is able to

prove,

in way of shifting or of any approved manner,

that he should be worthy of the title and position.

He must,

before a suitable audience

be judged and assessed accordingly,

justly,

fairly,

and appropriately.

___________________________

"Will Iolani Tori please step forward," the announcer rasped with a frown, surveying the row of human beings standing before a silent audience through his reading glasses. He had been eyeing the girl. He thought it might be her—it had to be, really; she was quite the representation of the moon.

And yet the one who stepped forth was the very person he had least expected: a scrawny-looking boy who seemed to him quite underweight, as though a slight gust of wind could have easily swept him away.

His frown severed, replaced by an incredulous smile that appeared slightly mocking. "Mr. Tori?"

The boy nodded quietly. He caught a glimpse of the sky that was darkening outside before returning his gaze to the man.