Chapter 12 - Drama and Horses

For 5 whole minutes, all I did was stare; that's all I could do. I was shock to say the least. For that 5 minutes all Alex did was stare with tears welling up in his eyes, he stared at me and for the first time ever, I didn't know what to do. This was the first time my son had ever raised his voice at me, at anyone. 

I readied myself for the worst but apparently the worst wasn't actually the worst, this was. 

"Alex..." I say in a small voice. And he just looked, looked me in the eyes, tears falling down his face and his lip trembling. With that, he ran  out the living room and towards the small set of stairs. I was too shocked to say anything or to stop him.

Sitting back on the small seat, I put a shaking hand over my face, feeling all of the shocked stares directed at me.

"Well, I must say, I'm proud" I hear from an unexpected voice, looking up at Chris he continues "He's just protecting his mom, he loves you" He says the last part with a sad smile, standing up and walking to the front door. With a short bye, he leaves and I'm left staring at the now closed door.

What the hell just happened?

After clearing everything up with all the family that was left in the room, I get up to go in the same direction that Alex went, hoping he had enough time the calm down.

Making my way to the moderately sized oak door that leads into my sons room, I notice the strange quietness in the hallway; sure, it was quiet before but this time it seemed different, almost like I was expecting to hear something, like shouting or something, I don't know just something. 

Turning the doorknob for the third time today, I see Alex laying on his bed with his back facing me 

Stepping into the eerie room, I sit on the bed and lay down next to Alex, facing the ceiling.

"You know, when you do something like that, you cant just run away, you have to face it" I whisper quietly, knowing he's awake. 

Turning around to face me, he says "I know, mommy" in a quiet voice "I'm sorry"

"Is that what you were planning on doing when you said you wanted to talk to him?" I ask quietly, wrapping my arm around him, pulling him closer to my body.

"Yeah." He says hesitantly, wrapping one of his small arms around my waist, putting his head in the crook of my neck, "I'm sorry, mommy" He whispers into my neck.

"I'm not the one you're supposed to apologise too, baby" I say quietly.

"I don't want to talk to him, mommy" he says, whimpering slightly "He hurt you, I know he did"

"Alex, sweetie, he's your daddy" I utter softly, "If you don't want to talk to him, fine but you cant speak to him like you just did, you gotta be the bigger person"

"I cant be the bigger person, mommy, I'm four" He says giggling slightly

Laughing softly with him I say "metaphorically speaking, sweetie" 

"What does that mean?" He asks cutely

"It means, be the bigger person in here" I say pointing to his heart "and in here" I say pointing to his mind.

"Okay, mommy" He says sleepily

"So, in the morning, will you apologise to daddy?" I ask softly 

Sitting up to look at me, he whispers "Will you come with me?" 

"Of course I will"

"Okay" he sniffles, going back to his position 

"Okay then" I say, smiling sadly "You go to sleep"