Chapter 3 - Nobody Said Facing Your Fears Was Easy

Placing my iPhone on the marbled countertop, the patter of bare feet on the plain wooden floor was prominent, making me realise that I don't have much time to prepare myself to tell Alex about Jerry and our Christmas trip. He already knows about the possibility of the trip and I know he wants to go, however, I have no idea how he's going to react to it being so soon.

Opening the door to the fridge of our modern styled kitchen, I take out some eggs and bacon for breakfast. The kitchen of this house has always been something I was proud of, along with the Living area but the kitchen was spectacular with its hanging lights above the centre island lined in threes in front of the fan, the hob sat on the white marbled island whereas the sink sat against the wall on another white marbled countertop; surrounded by solid oak cupboards that stored food, cutlery, pots, pans, etc. The fridge-freezer was a faded dark silver that matched the handles of every cupboard. There was also 3 bar stools that sat on the opposite end of the island counter top as the hob and oven, my kitchen was spacious but not too spacious, it was perfect. Hearing the voice of my four-year-old little boy dragged me from the thoughts that I had been lost in. Carefully, I place the ingredients on the countertop, next to my phone and greeted my son.

"Morning kiddo, I wasn't expecting you to be up for ages, its only 8:45" I say looking up to the little boy struggling to get onto the bar stool opposite me, smiling nicely. "Very funny, mommy, I'm a big boy now, I wake up like big boys and girls" he says in a matter-of-fact tone. "Oh really?! Does that mean you're going to start working too?" I ask sarcastically, laughing at his bluntness. Remember when I said, personality wise, Alex was more like me than his father? Well, this is proof of that, we always joke around like this. putting a finger on his chin as a way to mockingly think, he says "Hmm, I'll think about it, mommy"

Cracking an egg open on the countertop and emptying it into the recently placed, frying pan, I laugh quietly shaking my head at the impossible little boy sitting in front of me " Okay, kiddo, whatever you say. Sunnyside up okay?" I ask while grabbing a spatula from the draw on the center island. He nods with a great big, cheesy smile plastered on his face

"So." I start crossing both arms, leaning on the countertop opposite Alex, who managed to get on his stool, I like to let him try and do things himself before I step in (that's how my parents raised me, so that's how I'm raising him). "You remember last night when I told you about going back home for Christmas?"

"Yeah..." he says skeptically.

"Well, I spoke with Trippe this morning and he managed to squeeze us into his very tight schedule, but, yes there is a 'but', we're leaving at 3. Today. So, we'll be there for around 6/7-ish. What do you think about that?" I say pushing through the worried feeling that has arose in my stomach, not knowing how he'll feel about leaving so soon.

"Are you kidding me?!" He screams with excitement jumping up and down on his very unsteady bar stool, "This is awesome, I cant believe we're actually going" he finishes, struggling to say some of the big words.  The worried feeling in my stomach fades and I'm hit with a huge sense of relief.  "Wait, is Jerry okay with this?" He cautiously says, closing my eyes for a few seconds, I turn back to the now cooked egg and placing it on Alex's SpongeBob plate, "Jerry isn't going to be a problem anymore, kid, don't you worry your pretty little head about that" he looks at me with dramatically pursed lips and squinted eyes "Is everything alright, mommy?" He asks me quietly, the worry in his less squinted eyes was evidently there, which caused my heart to clench, I hated seeing him worry, I mean, he's four, he shouldn't be worrying about anything "Everything is okay, promise. Now eat your eggs, young man." I say placing the egg in front of him. For a while now, Alex has taken a dislike to bacon and refuses to eat it, I don't know what brought it on but when he first brought it up, I didn't worry too much, I mean, it isn't that big of a deal, it just means cooking less food.