Chapter 8 - Calm Before The Storm?

The prettiest room in the house had to be the foyer but that's just my opinion. Ask Esme, she'll say the prettiest room would be the library, with its antique look and Victorian vibe; she does have a valid point and  I will admit that its a close second but there is just something about the foyer that enthrals me, maybe its the memories of dancing around with Cole or Dom when dressing up all fancy for our annual balls as kids or playing chess with my father on the table, that once stood where the two-story high Christmas tree stood, every Sunday morning. To me, the foyer holds some of my most treasured memories like when Cole came home from his first tour in Afghanistan, he walked through the thick wooden door, a vibrant smile plastered on his tanned visage, a memory that will forever be engraved into my mind. He went on two other tours until he decided he had enough and wanted to settle down. So, yeah, the foyer is the prettiest room in the house, not just because of its looks; with its: mahogany floor boards or pasty white walls or beautifully designed twin staircase made from the same mahogany wood that boarded the floors, the only difference is that the stairs are covered with a tan coloured rug that complemented the décor perfectly, but also because of the memories that lay within the beautifully structure walls that made up the foundation of our home.

Sitting in the den, watching as Alex and Belle play some sort of game they made up just moments ago, after having nice soothing shower and dressing myself in some high-waist black jeans and a simple off-the-shoulder, cream knit sweater and my favourite thick, cosy socks, I rolled up into a cosy ball on the dream-worthy sofa that sat in the exquisitely designed den.

After having Alex, I got back into shape pretty fast due to my regular morning runs and my dancing a few times a week, at that time I had a lot of free time, even with school because I had my exams over with, it was basically free reign until graduation.

Picking up my phone, I click on Pinterest and look through some 'relatable quotes', that's what the app calls them anyways, I'll admit, a few of them are funny, like this one for example 'Now I understand why Peter Pan didn't grow up', laughing to myself quietly, I continue to scroll through the quotes until the sound of shoes quietly hitting the wooden floor brings me back to reality. My younger sister saunters into the den walking straight past us with her head in a book; most likely a Shakespeare or Bronte novel. Don't get me wrong I love Bronte but at this time in the morning? I think I'll pass, thanks. Its like 10:00 am and she's already got her head lodged deep into a book; I'm all of a sudden glad that I didn't major in English lit cause I just know that would require a lot of reading and its very rare for me to be in a reading mood

"Hey, Ez, what you reading?" I ask suspiciously as she walks through the den and into the foyer, turning around a high pitched squeak comes out to her mouth, straight after she brings her hand to her mouth, eyes wide open and me? Well, I'm trying my damned hardest to contain my laughter, by now I bet my face is already bright red, "What the hell kind of noise was that?" I ask, failing to keep my laughter in. "Jeez, don't do that Millie, you scared the shit out of me" she says with her hand now over her heart "I'm reading Wuthering Heights by the way" she continues As she turns back to the foyer, I call for her "Hey, I'm sorry for last night" I say empathetically , she gives me quick side smile before assuring me that it was her who should be sorry not me.

Looking back at the two children that were once bewitched by their game, I see their tiny heads looking between Esme and me, why are kids so snoopy?

It's been about 2 hour since Cole and Seth left to have their 'Bro talk', as they like to call it, I have no clue where they went or why they are taking so long but hey, as long as Cole comes back a happy bunny, I don't really care... unless its something illegal, then I hate them for leaving me out and making me babysit... my own son and niece.

I don't know the full story of hats going on with Cole but it is taking a lot of effort to not get on a plane and drag Mia to hell by her freaking hair, I always knew she was a bit off but watching my, at the time, 21 year old brother sleep, that's just creepy and wrong on so many levels, I mean, come on, that's her brother in law for Pete's sake. Something that I do know, though, is that Cole will do anything to keep Belle happy, I would love to say 'within reason' but it really is not within any reason what so ever, he would legit do anything, I'm just scared that it'll do something that could permanently ruin his happiness. The best people really do have the worst luck.