Chapter 9 - You have got to be kidding me!

"You have got to be kidding me?" I stare at the brown eyed idiot in front of me with sheer disbelief in my eyes, "No. Just... no. Are you stupid? Why would you even ask me that?" Tilting his head back Wren lets out a groan of pure frustration "Speedy, you know I wouldn't be asking you this if I had any other option, hell, in this situation, I'd much rather go to one of my crazy ex's than to you but I can't."

REWIND BACK TO A FEW MINUTES AGO

"I need your help" he asks me, pleading with his eyes, not really knowing how to respond due to his peculiar behaviour, I wait for him to continue. "I need you to drive me to the lake, like now" he all but demands. Looking at him weirdly, I cautiously ask him "why?" not really knowing if I wanted to know the answer to it.

"I will tell you why but only if you promise not freak out and let me explain" he says. With a small and hesitant nod from me he continues "I just got a call from Chris..." interrupting him, my eyes widen and I automatically say "Nope." Walking towards the door, not bothering to cover my car back up, I shake my head at the pleading Wren "Look, Millie, I'm not asking you for him. Their car broke down and the storm is due to hit, Cole isn't around and God knows when he and Seth will be getting back; they aren't even answering their phones for Christ's sake."

Now in the Living room, I turn to face him, shoving him angrily "The bastard could be burning in hell for all I care, he left me, he left me alone to raise his kid. Our Kid. And now you're asking me to help him? Are you stupid? What the hell is he even doing here? Everyone's saying he hasn't been home in 4 years, hell, you even told me he hasn't"

"I don't know, Millie, I didn't ask for specifics, I haven't heard from him in months, I most certainly didn't expect to hear from him now, I was planning on asking him when I got there only to fin my care buried in 3ft of freaking snow!" he exclaims, "I'm not exactly happy about him being here either. You really think I want him anywhere near you or Alex after what happened to Axel or after he left the two of you?" he questions continuing his rant of utter shit and me? Well, I'm standing in front of him with my arms crossed over my chest, impatiently waiting for him to finish. Once he finally finishes, I ask him a simple question "Why did you even bother coming to ask me? Sure I don't hate the guy but he still broke my heart and the last thing I want to do right now is help him." Sighing in defeat, Wren opens his mouth to speak again and what comes out is not something I was expecting "Look, I get it, I do. But he isn't the only one there, Jesse and Alena are too, with their 2 month old baby. Think about it this way, they are sitting in the middle of a road in a car that has no heating with a 2 month old baby; what happens when the baby gets too cold and goes into shock? That will be on your hands Amelia not mine."

Rubbing my eyes all but softly, I'm now the one sighing in defeat until I realise something "Alena and Jesse had a baby?" I ask in a tentative manner, confirming his words, wren gives me a sharp nod "So, can you help me or not? cause I don't even know what an engine looks like much less how to figure out what's wrong or what's missing."

Grabbing my keys from the pegs in the foyer, I grumble to him "Get your ass in the car but I swear to all that is mighty, he even looks in my direction, not only will I make him wish he was never born but I'll leave you and everyone else there to freeze, you get me?"

"You know, for someone who claims to not hate Chris, you sure as hell don't act that it" he points out, like literally points. Giving him a look as to say 'don't test me right now', I go over to my sister and tell her I need to go do something with Wren; asking her nicely if she'll watch the kids for an hour or so. Reluctantly, she agrees. Eyeing both Wren and me strikingly, I know she has questions and I also know that she heard our conversation or parts of it at least; turns out kids aren't the only snoopy ones around here.