Chapter 7 - Strength Lies In Our Differences

In all of my life, I had never been this happy to see my older brother, suitcase in hand, with a little girl standing behind his legs. Out of all my siblings, Cole looks the most like our father, with his black hair and green eyes, unlike Seth who has blonde hair and brown eyes. Of course, the brown eyes are inherited from my father whereas the green eyes are from my mothers genes. Weirdly enough, our grandma was the only person in the family to actually have green eyes until Cole was born; our mothers eyes, on the other hand, were a vibrant blue shade, that I, thankfully, inherited.

Slightly leaning on the doorframe, Cole eyes both Wren and me suspiciously, before asking "What's going on here?" In a tone that indicates his utter confusion, as if he hadn't expected to find the two of us here. Belle, who was once standing behind the legs of my brother, ran towards me with her arms stuck out in front of her, her brown, curl hair bounced with each step and her beautiful hazel eyes were trained on me as she ran. When she reached me, I picked her up and spun her in my arms.

"I've missed you, Be-be" I laugh as she snuggles in my neck, being 6 years old, she isn't really that heavy but that could also be because she has always been fairly small. Looking in my brothers direction, I ask "Why are you guys here so early? Does sleep hate you too?" Raising an eyebrow at my questions but brushing them off, he replies with, "Damn Lia, missed you too, how've you been? Good? good." His tone filtered with sarcasm. Rolling my eyes at his response, I ask, seriously, "Why are you guys here so early? Dad said you were setting off this morning and not getting here till later"

"Well, we decided to book a plane here without telling dad and the plane took off early to avoid the storm that's coming" He explains, answering my unanswered question, I guess that makes sense. "Why'd you decide to get a plane? you hate flying" I question, with a suspicious tone. 

"Speedy, what is this? An interrogation? Geez I just bought a plane ticket, the way you're acting, you'd think I'd created mass destruction" Smirking at him, knowing his over exaggeration was a sign that he's hiding something. Instead of letting the situation go, I prod a little more, knowing that this next question will render him speechless. "So, you just decided to get a plane here? okay, fair enough" I begin, noticing his sigh of relief, even though he tried to cover it up "Hey, Cole, where's Mia?" I ask smirking a bit more as he picks his suitcase and goes to take it to his room. Looking at me with a are-you-kidding-me look, he calls for Belle "Come on, Lets get unpacked" he says, sounding defeated. 

I don't actually think I've ever heard him sound so messed up. He's been acting weird since he got here 10 minutes ago, you cant really blame me for questioning him, he rarely ever shows up on time much less early, he has a serious problem with punctuality; has done since we were kids, we'd always say he'd be late to him own funeral, it took all of us to make sure he wasn't late to his wedding . What's even stranger is Mia not being with him.

My attention turning back to Wren, I say "I'm sure my father has a spare key for your house somewhere, you know since he watches it when they're away, I'll go look for it" doing my best to refrain from making eye contact, I wander off the key pegs that were mounted on the wall next to the front door. Hoping that my father labelled the key, I scan through the congregation of keys that hung messily on all 6 pegs.

 After a good 10 or so minutes, I find the key I was looking for, walking back to the kitchen where a dishevelled Wren sat, sipping his, most likely, cold coffee. Throwing the key down in front of him, I walk past him and go through the dining room, back to the living room.

 Throwing the key down in front of him, I walk past him and go through the dining room, back to the living room