Chapter 11 - Whispers and Moral Support

Grabbing the bowl from his lap, I jump on the sofa next to Dom. "But why, Dom? Why?" I ask in a baby-ish voice. Back in the day when we all lived under the same roof, mom used to say that I had a different personality around each of my siblings. When I'm around Dom, I become increasingly annoying and I take pride in that title cause his reactions are always the same... in other words, I get what I want. When I'm around Cole, however, I become more laid back and some might say, guy-ish. I'm aware of how weird that sounds.

Dom's daughters have to be the most amazing kids I've met, seriously, I feel like ditching my generation and joining there's because they're just that fun to be around. Unlike Belle, who judges the shit out of me when I play dress up with them. Like his daughters, Dom has dusty blonde hair and honey-coloured eyes, the only difference is his features were more sharp and masculine than their soft and feminine feature that they inherited from their mom.

Aspen and Ayla, are both twins - aged 8, however, if 5 year old Lennox grew a bit, they would all pass as triplets. Their mom, Lily, shares the same blonde hair as Dom and their kids; she met Dom in high school when she transferred from Austin, with her cowgirl boots and hat. From what he told me, he was instantly infatuated by her; they have been in love ever since but don't think they never argued, cause they did and probably still do. I remember one time they had this argument and it was over the pettiest of things; they didn't speak to each other for a whole god damned week, from my perspective it was hilarious but sure was hell for those two. For Dom, Lily was his first love and hopefully his last because I do not want my favourite OTP's ship to sink or my favourite nieces to be upset about their parents divorcing cause that would be harsh.

Unlike Cole, Dom never went into military, he went straight to college on a Baseball scholarship, which is almost just as impressive; everybody knows that Dom kind of regrets his decision of not joining the military, he always dreamed of doing something that saves lives and in the process, burns off some of his pent up anger but he does love baseball which is why he only 'kind of' regrets it. He idolised Cole about as much as I did, if not more, being the big brother and all, however, Dom and Cole spent a lot more time with each other than Cole and I did due to the fact that there is a three year age gap between the two of them and it was just easier that way.

Cole was there for him on his first day of kindergarten, his first day of middle school and of course his first day of high school, just like Dom was there for Maria for her first days and Maria  for me and so on. We've always been a tight-knit family, protecting each other and all that jazz, we were there through everyone's tough breakups and failed tests; we helped each other through them which was, obviously, after we stopped teasing them relentlessly. 

At a very young age, our father raised us with one thing engraved in our minds - not all blood is family and not all family is blood - and he was right; it was something he came up with when his father betrayed his mother and abandoned him and his siblings, something he swore to live by and gradually swore to pass on to us and then us to our kids and so on.

The quote itself didn't really matter much to me, not until I officially met Chris, that day was the day that this truthful quote added meaning to my life and everyone in it but. One thing I am thankful for though is that the quote has never been labelled as a description for anyone in our immediate family.

Staring, confused at the TV that is playing an episode of Bratz, I lean over to my brother and ask him "What the hell is going on? Am I supposed to understand this?" shrugging slightly he leans closer and whispers "I have no idea but they" he says, pointing to the three girls who had their eyes trained on the screen, "seem to love it and it shuts them up, so, yay me".