46 lily pt. 1

"Well, it would have been ideal for things to have gone differently. But we'll make do. What's important now is to get her back on routine. It'll be an uphill battle for sure, but if she's willing to fight, my diagnosis is that I think she'll pull through," the doctor said. The man behind him pulled the gun from between his shoulder blades. "But as for you. I don't think her worrying about you will do much good for her health."

"Hopefully she'll understand. I can't really ask for much else." The man was wearing a baseball cap and red hoodie pulled tight over his face. "Thanks for your help, doc." He saw the reflection of the flashing red and blue lights bouncing off the windows. He cocked his gun at the doctor again.

"I didn't call anybody!" he yelped. "You had to know they'd be after you."

"Yeah, I knew," Caleb muttered, jamming his pistol back in his jacket pocket. "Just as long as my mother gets the care she needs, I'm okay with this." Slowly, he sauntered out of his mother's room. Suddenly, he felt the air to the side of him split apart in a sharp, focused burst. It left a red line across his cheek as he crashed to the floor. He looked up and saw the bullet lodged in the door behind him.

His cell phone buzzed. Frantically, Caleb answered.

"Caleb!" It was Seguerra. "Are you really going to do this? Have you chosen to go the way of the coward again?"

"What? What are you talking about?"

"We received information that you staged this coup so you can die and take as many officers out with you as you can! Is that what you told your father!"

"No! I'm just gonna turn myself in!"

"They've taken his word to be reliable. Are you armed?"

"Yes!"

"Drop your weapons now! I'll do what I can, but until I get inside, lay low, they are shooting to kill!"

"Okay!"

"Caleb, are you in a safe area! The SWAT team's been deployed, they could be headed towards you as we speak!"

"Fuck! What do I do!"

"Hide, dumbass!" He brought the phone down from his ear as he attempted to hustle his way back to the commissioner, still favoring his tender wound from days prior.

"How are you so certain of his intent to engage, Commissioner?"

"I'm not. But I can't be too careful. This man has already killed so many people, including cops, including your partner."

"If you're doing this in part because of Kim, then let me be the one to call the shots on this one. I'm going in, sir!"

"No," he sternly replied. "Let the SWAT team handle it now. Besides, you're still injured, you're vulnerable."

"Damnit, just trust me!" exclaimed Seguerra.

"Stand down." It was a flat dismissal. The commissioner turned his attention away from Seguerra and back to the events in front of him.

"Fuckfuckfuck!" Caleb exclaimed as he crawled away from the room his mom was staying in. The alarm was sounded, sending doctors, nurses, and other workers, as well as patients who were able, scurrying down the hall, around and past him. He waited until they had cleared out to slip down the stairway. He didn't go far before hearing the sound of heavy boots stampeding up in the opposite direction. He snuck out the stairway exit to the next floor, but not before hearing a loud KLUNK!

"Ohmygod, I'm so sorry!" Someone had smacked one of the SWAT operatives with the exit door as they were ascending the stairs.

"Ma'am, it's very dangerous to be out and about right now," he barked. "Either find safe cover or evacuate according to your hospital's procedures."

"Okay, but there's a bomb at your feet."

"What?"

She quickly slammed the metal door back behind her. BOOM!

She ran to the locker rooms at the end of the hallway, to the locker she had stolen and filled with all her preparations. With a sparkle in her eyes, she reached for her duffel bag. She unzipped the top and slid out a giant hunting knife housed in its sheath, which she quickly discarded. She fit two straps on her around her shoulders, a gun holster on each and several ammunition pouches.

"Sorry, love," she muttered. "I know you probably wouldn't approve of what I'm about to do, but it's just that...

"I'm in a killing mood today."