15 swiped right on accident

"Psychopathy is among the most difficult of all disorders to identify," buzzed the podcast narrator as he listened while getting dressed for work. "It is a spectrum disorder in which genetics, brain anatomy, and environmental factors all may play a part in the development of psychopathic traits. A psychopath can appear completely normal: witty, charming, brilliant, and fascinating. It shouldn't be surprising that a psychopath could be the object of constant romantic pursuit. In fact, you could be dating one right now. How would you know?

"First off, courtship to a psychopath is more like grooming than anything else. It's about making the partner fall for them, rather than allowing themselves to fall, too. So a psychopath will shower the partner with lavish gifts and sweet gestures. They'll give them all their time and affection— at least, at first.

"Watch how they talk about ex-partners. If pretty much every ex was crazy and they say that's why the relationship ended, this is a giant red flag.

"Beware the partner who must always be the 'winner.' Hypercompetitive in everything, even in things that to a normal person, wouldn't seem like so big of a deal to lose. To the psychopath, it's about maintaining superiority at all times.

"Psychopaths often have very questionable morality. A psychopath may exhibit no real sense for right and wrong. On one end of the spectrum, this can amount to lying, cheating, stealing...on the other end— do we even need to say it? This is not to say that every psychopath will do these things, but a psychopath is more likely to view such acts as 'necessary things' or 'means to an end' rather than beneath a lens of 'right vs. wrong.'

"A psychopath will often latch onto a highly empathic partner, one who is more likely to be compassionate and excuse the psychopath's behavior. Also, one who would do just about anything to please the psychopath. The psychopath is likely to choose a coddler and enabler for a mate because in their eyes, the psychopath is a victim, always. Nothing is the psychopath's fault, ever. Often because of this, we see the partners of psychopaths roped into facilitating the psychopath's wicked machinations, whatever they may be. It's because the psychopath needs that person in order to get something they want, and the psychopath doesn't care what they have to do to get it..."

The morning air was crisp and cold and he could see his breath as he ran. When he finally reached the gate, he put his hand on the bricks and panted. Caleb heard the rustling of leaves somewhere nearby. It was the groundskeeper, clipping the bushes. The man stopped briefly to remove a pack of cigarettes from his pocket and stick one between his lips. The orange glow of his lighter illuminated his face, and his stark blue eyes lit up like headlights under the shade of the tree. Those piercing eyes were those of a lit jack-o-lantern against the light of the flickering flame.

Caleb was certain that he had never seen this man before, but wondered if it was because he just had never paid attention to the groundskeeper. This was a huge man, with a neck tattoo climbing up and around his ear like a vine or a dragon. Without notice, his silver gaze crept over his shoulder, ever-so casually as he espied Caleb watching him. One glance alone sent a jolt down his spine and made him continue walking, never wanting to look back. Caleb finally let out a sigh of relief once he heard the sound of raking start up again. The groundskeeper went back to his work, and Caleb continued on his path to the entrance of the building.

Caleb had spent the greater part of the morning gazing out the window of his office and daydreaming. It was another normal day, and there was an unease in his heart because of it.

With his free hand, he dug in his pocket and pulled out his phone. The screen displayed a wall of gray bubbles, a giant wall of text, staring back at him. Those gray speech bubbles, all messages from her. It had almost been a week and nothing had happened. Things were peaceful. Actually, maybe even a little more peaceful than before. He fixed his thumb over the keyboard, not able to yet bring himself to reply to her.