18 run

"Who was that?"

"Nobody. Just one of Caleb's little friends."

"I don't see why you're bringing her here," said the gardener, tightening Caleb's binds.

"Trust me, she's a problem, though," Ivy groaned, rolling her eyes.

"How're you gonna get her in here?"

"Cheesecake! With my special strawberry sauce," she chirped. "When she gets here, I want you to hide in the pantry. I'll handle it from here."

"You're sure about this?"

"Just get in the pantry."

He did what she told him to. She took the cheesecake out of the fridge and set it down on the counter, going back in for a second time to grab a red squeeze bottle: ketchup. She shook it first and then started drawing all over the cheesecake with it until it was covered in red streaks.

The sky was fully orange in the day's waning moments. Still, Jasmine wondered why the lights in the house weren't on yet. She politely rapped on the door.

"Jasmine? Hi!" Ivy greeted, even stepping out to give her a hug.

"Hi! Um—"

"Ivy," she replied. "I know we only met once. Come on in!" She gently took her by the shoulders and waved her into the dark room.

"Oh, I wasn't planning on staying."

"Not even for a quick cup of coffee?"

"I'm around it all day," she replied with a stuffy chuckle.

"Jasmine," she crooned. "I'm not going to let you leave."

"I'm sorry?" Not one light was on in the house.

"Not without trying my new cheesecake recipe! Caleb so far has been the only one to try it, and he eats anything."

"Oh," she said with a little sigh of relief. "I mean I guess one little piece won't hurt."

"That's more like it," Ivy said. "Come on, the kitchen's this way."

"Kinda dark in here, isn't it?"

"Oh, you know what? You're right. I try to get every last bit of sunlight in before turning on the lights, but wouldn't you know, your eyes end up adjusting and you forget it's not really normal to have the lights off like this! Goofy me!"

She turned on the kitchen light. Jasmine held her breath. She looked around. Everything looked normal.

"Mmph!"

"What was that?"

"What was what?"

"Sounded like, I dunno," she rambled.

"It was probably Caleb upstairs. He's a noisy sleeper."

"Oh really?" laughed Jasmine.

"Oh my god, yes."

"That's funny."

Anything he could see was diced into little slivers made in the sliding pantry door. He felt the barrel of the gun pressed against his carotid, and out of the corner of his eyes he found puckered lips from which there came a calm and gentle "shushing." He could only sit and watch in horror.

"You really have such a lovely house, Ivy," Jasmine complimented, finally settling in and leaning against the counter.

"Wasn't always like this, trust me," she groaned. "I think I could publish a diary on the perils of first-time home ownership. But, I think the place is finally coming around. Still haven't even unpacked everything."