38 purple testament

"You're doing what?" The vibrations of his growl chased Ivy up the cement driveway as she hurried to distance herself from him.

"I already bought the tickets," she murmured callously.

"You ungrateful little bitch." His sharp tone cut the solace of the dark and hollow castle. Mr. Quinn slammed the door behind him and ran up the stairs after Ivy, stopping only to acknowledge Mrs. Quinn, sitting quiet as a mouse as she usually did in the living room, with the same dazed, lethargic stupor she had carried for as long as Ivy could remember. Her silent image was cemented in a fragile, stoic balance like a photograph, or like a mannequin in a department, adorned in its fashionable attire that had never ventured outdoors.

"Do you know what our daughter just said to me!" he screamed at Mrs. Quinn. "This is all because you can never be bothered to discipline her. You can't be bothered to do anything! You just let her lay around and play games and talk to those boys!"

She wouldn't look at him. Mrs. Quinn barely moved a twitch, as her silver gaze remained far off in the distance, in another dimension. One would have to spend an inordinate amount of time staring, separating the million silver fibers from the earthen black tunnels to her inner thoughts in order to realize they led nowhere that could be reached anymore. The shorted and burnt out circuits that had decayed and lost their functionality. So, they saw no more illusions. Mrs. Quinn had been dead for years. What remained was her vacant, breathing shell.

"Now now," he softly crooned with a calm that was betrayed by the bulging veins in his knuckles as he held fast to the door knob. "I didn't mean to shout, kitten. But what you said, it— it surprised me a little. Okay? Now no more talk of this leaving your mother and I."

"No. I meant what I said. I'm leaving here," her eyes didn't venture towards him. Instead, she continued to plow through her drawers and sift through her clothes. But she felt him. Mr. Quinn had come up behind her and slid his index and thumb up her sleeve and was pinching the fabric of her shirt.

"You've gotten so big. But you're still daddy's girl, aren't you? Why not just stay daddy's girl for a little while longer—"

She abruptly batted him away with the strength of her whole arm. Only now did she look at him, as she hissed with a corrosive venom brimming up from her throat, "daddy's don't touch their daughters that way. You freak."

"Fr-freak? You mouthy little bitch, you—" he lunged for her again, digging his talons into her sleeve as she jerked away and spun around, ripping the fabric of her class jersey as she faltered. The oversized jersey had concealed the shame she'd been hiding out of her fear.

As she sat there on her knees, Ivy asked him, "a real dad doesn't do what you do." With her fingertips, she gingerly caressed her purple shoulder and her blackened arm. "I was stupid to protect you."

"But you did," he acknowledged with a small grin. "Why did you, kitten?" There were shadows underneath his eyes, awash with a malignant knowing, an evil, raging tranquility. He let his fingers comb through the hair by the back of her neck, and she could feel the metal of his wedding band, and smell the overbearing cologne permeating through his skin.

"Is it because you like it? That makes you a whore. That's what everyone would say. But not me. To me, you're just daddy's angel."

Ivy thought to flee, but she twisted her foot and fell. She dug her nails in the dirt as she tried to scramble away.

She stumbled, aimlessly pushing at the floor with hands and feet. Her head was spiraling, snapping every which direction on her hinging neck.The monster seized her by the back of her golden head. Her eyes were a surreal milky red with large pupils. She pawed and scratched at its arms as she struggled to free herself. He wiped the sweat away from his forehead, and then snarled through his teeth, "or maybe... you're just smart enough to know the truth. Without me, you're nothing. Nothing. You're nothing and you would be even less than nothing if you were to try to make it out there on your own."