42 too late

Caleb stopped on a dirt road on the other side of town. He helped Seguerra slide out of the backseat of the car. They were at the outer gates of the tiny rural hospital. "This is as far I go, Seguerra. They should be able to take care of you here."

Seguerra limped to his feet. He wasn't able to stand up straight because of the pain, but through his wincing he could still look Caleb directly in the eye. Caleb did the same. They were enemies without words, standing there in front of each other for a long time. And then, Seguerra just passed him by, not saying anything, just limping slowly up the dirt road. Caleb watched him for awhile before getting back in the car.

He found an outdoor payphone. At first reluctantly, he pushed the numbers. It rang one and a half times before a brisk "hello?" came from the other end.

Caleb paused for a moment.

"Hello?"

"Dad. It's me."

"Caleb!" he gasped. "Son! Are you okay? Where are you? Oh God, I was so worried, I—"

"Shut up. Just shut the fuck up and just listen, okay Dad?" he barked. "I don't need the fake concern theatrics. I know what you're after, so we can save the happy reunion bullshit and get right down to it. I want you to know that if I go down without giving the word, my associates are still going to come after you," Caleb expertly bluffed. "You've seen their work, you know what they can do. So, you know that it's nothing for them to come get you. So let's make a deal."

"What's the deal?" his father groaned.

"I'm coming home soon, and I'm taking mom to the hospital. When I get there, she'd better have a bed waiting for her. If that happens, I have no problem going quietly. You get to keep your life and hopefully the job you care about so much."

"Fine, fine, I'll do it," he jabbered. "But, Caleb, how can you assure me that I'll be safe—" He heard a dial tone before he could even get the whole sentence out. Caleb hopped in the car and sped off, letting the dust kick up in his wake.

There was one main road leading out of the small town. The city limit was marked by a little wooden fence and a sign that read in cursive: "Hope you come again real soon!" Right underneath the sign, there was a baby blue muscle car straddling the side of the road, and a beautiful girl sitting with her knees up on the hood. He didn't want to stop. Caleb wanted to slam the pedal to the floor and leave her way behind him. But she caught him the eyes, the way she was so adept at doing. He felt his resolve weaken. He pushed the brakes just as he passed the threshold.

"How's your dad?" he muttered.

"He'll be alright," Ivy replied, using her hand to shield her eyes from the sun. "The wound didn't hit any vital organs, so that's good. But he'll probably be out of commission for awhile."

"Good. Take care," he said as he dismissed her.

"What about your mom? What will you do?"

"The only thing I can do."

"And what does that entail?"

He didn't answer.

"Caleb!" she called after him, rushing back to her car and yanking the passenger-side door open. "Caleb, look!" She tossed an army green backpack at his feet. "That's half of it. Half of all the money we stole together. Take it for your mom. It's yours!"

Caleb shook his head. "They'll never let her keep that money," he groaned.

"Caleb," she murmured.

"Guess I'll just be going now."

"Caleb," she whined. As he slammed his car door shut, she shouted at him.

"God damn you, Caleb! What could you ever know about family! He's all I have now! In this world!"

But he didn't stop to acknowledge her, not even as she chased after him and he could see succumb to the cloud of dust he left behind. Then, he was gone.

"What do you know..." Ivy sobbed.

He was out of sight now. She dropped to her knees and cried.