Chapter Twenty-Seven

Looking at the officer in disbelief I cannot believe my ears.

"What?!" Jack asks for the second time.

The officer rolls his eyes and leans forward on his crossed arms.

"I said that I've already spoken to her parents and they've been questioned by police etc in California and there is absolutely nothing against them"

"Why were they not investigated here?"

"Listen here miss, why do you even care? You've got a new life and they're your parents so you should be happy and haven't got anything to worry about" No, something isn't right here.

Something fishy is going on and I'm going to find out. The officer leaves the room and says that he'll be back in a few minutes.

"Something isn't right Pen and I will find out"

"You're right Jack, something isn't right. I need to find out what happened that day"

"And I want to know what happened to our baby" He sits down next to me and runs a hand through his hair.

"I have these scars on my stomach and putting two and two together I think it's something to do with the baby" Jack's blue eyes pierce into mine.

"Can I- can I see?" Not being hesitant I lift my shirt up and show him the scars.

Jack's eyes immediately widen at the sight and his face pales up.

"Oh my God Jack, are you ok?" Putting a hand on his arm he shakes his head as a no.

"I...I need some water" Nodding my head I open the door to the room and see Ace sitting on the chairs across just where we left him.

"Water...he needs some water" Ace doesn't question and quickly runs down the hall of the station.

Running back into the room I'm besides Jack again who still looks the same, soon Ace is here and hands Jack the bottle.

Jack opens it with shaky hands and gulps down the entire bottle.

"Dude, you ok?" Ace asks him.

"Those scars, that's from a terrible C-section" C-section?

"They can't be, she's been fully checked and I would have known if they were scars from a C-section" Ace puts his hand on my leg and kneels down on the floor.

"They are. I've dealt with a client who had that done on her illegally. This was done illegally; some prick took my baby away from me!" Jack slammed his hand on the table.

"We're going to get to the bottom of this and to do that we need to go to California"

"When shall we go?" I ask Jack.

"Tonight" He says trying to catch a deep breath.

***********

"Will you come back?" Mable asks as she helps me put my clothes away into a suitcase which Ace got for me.

"I promise Mable" Leaning over I give Mable a big hug.

"I wish that you find out everything and what happens it will be for the best darling"

She helps me zip the suitcase up and take it down the stairs. Opening the door for me I see Ace standing outside by his car. Here goes nothing.

***********

This is so awkward, sitting between Jack and Ace on the plane but I tried easing the tension by asking Jack questions about my parents.

"You're mum has retired from working so she's home most of the time whereas your dad still works in the office"