Chapter Nine

The sound of soup bubbling and me chopping the vegetables was the only sounds which were heard in the kitchen.

And then there's my head which is doing the opposite of being silent. So much questions are running through my heads and I don't know how to answer them.

"How long do you think I'll be like this Mable?" I ask her.

I feel her gaze on me as I continue chopping.

"What are you talking about?" She asks in confusion.

"You know...how long do you think it'll take till I get my memory back. Just for me to know where I came from, why this happened and who my family is"

"Oh Harriet, everything happens for a reason but you'll learn the truth in good time as well" Mable says.

I feel a sob about to arise in my throat but I hold it back in, I don't want to cry in front of Mable. Putting the knife down I run out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

Shutting the bathroom door behind me I let everything out, my questions, my pain and my frustration.

I feel like banging my head against the wall so I don't get to feel the pain and so all of these questions which are running through my mind can stop.

Looking in the mirror I look like a mess, my eyes are red and puffy and my hair is all over the place. Opening the tap with the cold water I splash my face so it can help me cool down but it doesn't.

Mable must be wondering where I am and why I ran off. I should have been thinking about her before I even decided to run up here.

Unlocking the bathroom door standing right there is Mable with a sad look on her face.

"Let it all out" And just like that the tears fall again.

Mable puts her arms around me and I cry on her shoulder, a stranger's shoulder, someone I don't know, and someone who took me in with open arms.

"You are the strongest person that I know, stronger than anyone I've ever seen before" Mable tells me while rubbing my back.

Mable pulls me apart from her and gives a tissue, I wipe my tears from it and try to calm down, and she takes me by the arm and back downstairs without saying a word.

Sitting back against the sofa I look down at my lap and feel Mable looking at me. Mable is probably the strongest person that I've ever seen.

She lives alone, has a job which doesn't pay so good but she still accepts it

She lives alone, has a job which doesn't pay so good but she still accepts it. Where is her husband and doesn't she have any children?

"Mable" I say looking at her.

Her eyes widen in surprise but she collects herself quickly.

"Yes?"

"Have you never been married before or ever been in a relationship?" Mable looks away from me and gets up from the sofa.