Chapter 10 - Well, That Flopped

Start from the beginning

Placing the phone to my ear, I hear the voice of my son saying "Uncle Wren? where'd you go?" Eyes still on Chris, I reply "No, honey, it's mommy." As his law clenches, I look away turning back to the truck which I figured out has died... literally, the engine blew up. "How long will you be? I want to make a snowman with you" He asks in his cute little voice "Kid, there's a storm coming, we cant make a snowman until it passes, as for how long I'll be. That depends on how fast you can put uncle Cole on the phone. "Okay, mommy, love you" He says, strangely excited.

"What's up?" I hear the deep voice of my brother say 

"Well, Wren came by asking my help cause he got a phone call from someone saying Jesse's truck broke down and he needed him to come pick them up, but, Wren's car was snowed in so he came to ask you for a ride since you know about cars and stuff but you and Seth were out - I want to hear 'bout that by the way - so he asked me, apologising profusely for it and begging me. But, catch this, the engine literally blew up and I don't have the time nor the tools to fix that nor do i have enough room for everyone in my car; as much as I would love to leave them to freeze, that goes against all of my morals. So, to answer your question, everything is up, get your freaking as to the lake. Now, please" I ramble into the small device held to my ear.

"Erm, Wow? sure I'll be there in 15. Hold tight" He says, not asking questions and hangs up the phone. Shoving it back into the back pocket of my jeans, I put both hands on the hood of the car, huphing out a breath, indicating I had enough of today's shit.

"I am so confused right now" I hear Jesse speak up

"Join the club" Chris mutters 

"I'm not" Wren inputs "You blew the engine" he says, indicating to Jesse "She has a kid" he says pointing to me "and Cole's coming to pick us up since we can't all fit in her car" Turning back to me "What if he brings Alex?" He says worried. 

"Just don't Wren" I say, utterly worn out "I really cant be bothered to even think about that right now". Turning to sit on the now closed hood, I look at him pleading. 

"Why don't you go sit in the car?" He asks me quietly 

"You have a son?" I hear Chris ask a few metres away from me. Closing my eyes, not realising just how much I was hoping he wouldn't ask that. 

"Yes" I offer simply 

"How old is he?" He continues to probe.

Looking at Wren hopefully I say "four", not daring to look at him, knowing he was connecting the dots.

Pushing myself off the truck I walk over to the drivers seat of my car and sit with my legs hanging out, back to Alena who was quietly rocking her baby in her arms. I could feel her eyes burning holes into my back. 

"You actually going to say something or just continue staring at me for duration of my time sitting here?" I ask quietly

"I have so many things to ask you" She starts sniffling slightly "I just don't really know where to start" 

"I should probably let you in on the not so secret, secret then" I sadly say "you know, just to get a conversation started" Pausing slightly I let out an unhumored laugh "I have a son... he's 4, in case you were wondering."

"Is he..." She starts 

"Chris'?" I asked letting out another unhumored laugh "Yeah"

"And you didn't try to tell him?" She asks judgingly

"If you say 22 missed calls, 16 messages to pick up the phone and a note given to him by Wren isn't trying." I say turning towards her slightly  "Nope, I didn't try at all"

Our short conversation ended there, neither of us really knew how to talk to one another after that. Ten minutes past and my brothers familiar Jeep finally pulls up next to my car. Thankfully, he got here before the snow got any heavier than it already was. Stepping out of my car and slamming the door shut, I see Cole freeze, staring blankly at Chris until suddenly Chris was pushing himself off the floor, eyes wide, I'm trying my hardest to contain the laughter caused by Coles current expression.

"Easy there, big guy" I say slapping his shoulder as I express a highly humoured look "don't want any arrest to take place over Christmas, now do we?"

In all honesty, I'm surprised Chris didn't retaliate, keeping his masculinity and all but then again Cole was freaking tall, a foot taller than my 5ft 8in stance. Or maybe he knows that he deserves it.

Jesse and Chris both go in Cole's car, Jesse would have probably came with but he was worried about Cole Wrapping the car round a pole just to kill Chris; something Jesse thinks he wouldn't do with him in the car, in my opinion he's probably more likely to do it with Jesse in the car cause he sure can be annoying.

Thankfully, Cole didn't bring Alex which Wren took no shame in mentioning, with a tone of glee, during the drive home which resulted in Alena asking questions like "Does the kid know who his father is?" or "If Wren knows, does that mean the rest of the Shaw's know?", those two I answered a prickling yes too, hoping to every god that she would quit digging into it, sadly, my prays weren't answered and she didn't shut up for a whole 15 minutes, half way through that time her baby, who I now knew was called Lena, started crying which did not help my already awful mood. Driving carefully through the blizzard of snow, Cole slowly trailed behind us in his monster truck thing; in case you didn't guess, I don't really like his car choice. 

Once we got to the house both me and Cole parked out vehicles in our designated spot. cutting the engine of my car, I get out of the drivers seat, slamming the door behind me and making my way to the warmth of the house; trying my hardest to avoid Chris and hurrying to warn everybody also praying to god that Dom was home cause I would kill to see another bruise form on Chris' face, for scientific purposes, of course: See how many punches a douchebag can take, didn't you hear, its the new major experiment of the century. 

Smiling at my own thoughts, I walk into the living room to see Dom sitting with his three daughter; finally, my prayers are answered.

"Hey Dom" I say over the blaring sound of Bratz, turning shocked, a grin quickly spreads over the face of my 30 year old brother, before he has the chance to greet me, I put my hand up and say "For scientisfic purposes, could you please go out that door" pointing to the door I just came through "and punch the person you feel the urge to punch?" He looks at me questionably but stands up at looks through the open door, seeing what I knew he would see, he goes back to sit down, lifting his feet onto the glass coffee table and putting a bowl of popcorn on his lap, "go do it yourself, Speedy, maybe it'll relieve some tension building up inside that big head of yours" He say, grinning through a mouthful of popcorn.

Well, that flopped.

--------------------------------------------------

Picture of Alena above <3

Vote and Comment if you'd like