Chapter 9 - You have got to be kidding me!

Start from the beginning

CHRIS' POV

"Damn it!" I exclaim slapping the steering wheel with my hands, "you're motherfuckin' car just gave out" my voice raising slightly when I announce it. Raising his hands in a mocking surrender, he has a slight smirk on his face "Don't blame me, you were the one driving, Mr 'I don't sit in the passenger seat'" He vocalizes that last part while mimicking my accent. Telling him to "shut the fuck up," I swing the door to Jesse ran down pick-up truck and step out into the freezing conditions. It wasn't my idea to come back to Stonebridge, actually it was Alena's. I didn't even tell my parents I was coming, it's been 4 damn freaking years. 4-miserable-fucking-years. Shouting for Jesse to pop the hood, I lift it, not knowing what I was looking for, the smoke coming from the hood a few minutes ago indicates that something was burning or burnt out but what? 

Pulling my phone out of the pocket of my faded jeans, I scroll through my contacts, knowing who I was looking for. Pressing the call button on his name, I put the phone to my ear, hoping to god I was right about him being home. After 2 rings, I hear a voice that I haven't heard for months.

"Chris?" I hear the voice of my worried oldest brother, as I ponder how to ask him for help.

"Yeah, Wren, it's me" I start, letting out a breath of air I didn't know I was holding, "look, man, I need some help"

"Dude, you're half way across the country, what could I possibly do for you this far away?" Well, at least I knew he was in town, right now he thought I was in Oklahoma which is a couple states over from where he lives in Nebraska. 

"Alena and Jesse had a kid two months ago, they wanted to bring it home for Christmas to meet everyone and I, somehow, got roped into comin' with them" I explain, rubbing my eyes in frustration "but look man, Jesse car gave way near the lake and I have no clue how to fix the busted up old thing, I would have called a repair shop but there's a storm comin' so they'd have closed shop, if they even opened, that is."

A few moments pass and I don't hear anything from Wren, "Look, I know, its been a while... "

"A while!?" he exclaims "It has been 4 god damned years, you little fucker, you have any idea what you leaving did to our family? Did to Millie?" Every muscle in my body tensed when hearing him mention her name, since when did he care about her feelings so much? 

"I know, bro, I do" I say into the phone, "didn't Max say she doesn't come home for Christmas anymore?"

"Yes, he did say that" I hear him say in a strange tone "look, I'm on my way. Sit tight okay, I'll be there in 10, 20 max"

Before I have the chance to thank him, his end of the call cuts off and I'm left with a piercing noise to thank instead of my 30 year old brother. Slamming the hood closed, I go back to the drivers seat of the car and get back in, escaping the freezing winter conditions of Boston.

For what seems like hours, we had been sitting in the broken down old truck that now seemed to be more cold than outside. So now, We are standing outside the car, my coat wrapped around Jesse and Alena's baby, meaning I was freezing my ass off, waiting for my pain in the ass brother to get his ass here.

Feeling as though we had waited forever, I slid my phone out of my pocket and once again phoned my brother. He picks up almost instantly, as if he was waiting for me to call.

"Hey man" He says more awkward than he ever had, brushing it off I respond with "How long you going to be, Wren? we're freezing our asses off out here" Telling me to wait a sec, I hear him ask someone how long they were going to be, "Man, who are you talking to?"

Forcing an awkward laugh, he says, in a seemingly higher voice "Well, it's funny you should ask. You see, I went out to drive to you guys but my car seemed to be buried in snow" he explains, his voice not returning to normal still "so, I had to ask someone to give me a lift. This someone can probably have Jesse's beat up old truck up and running again in no time, which is better than me because I don't even know what an engine looks like much less how to spot something wrong with it" Stopping his rambling before he gets anymore wound up, I interrupt with "Wren" I say in a sternly "Who's drivin' the car?" After a few nervous chuckles he mumbles something along the lines of "we'll be there in a few minutes" and then hangs up. Mother-fucker. Something had him wound up, there is only a few things that could be and I'm praying to god that it isn't the first one that comes to mind.

MILLIE'S POV 

2 pieces of information I got from this experience. 1) Driving my 2014 range rover through several feet of snow is not as easy as it sounds, nope, it's hard and possibly even scary. 2) Chris looked too fucking good with long hair, seriously, looking that good should be a crime, it could cause some serious injuries; not that I'd say that to his face cause that would just be stupid but you know.

Driving down the small, isolated, snow filtered lane, a familiar red truck comes into sight and I try my damned hardest to finish mentally preparing myself for this. I didn't what I said to Wren about leaving them all to freeze, sadly enough, he knows it too, I would never leave a 'baby' (assuming that wasn't just something Wren made up to get me to help) out in the open like that, much less Alena, one of my only girl friends from high school . Jesse and Chris, however, that was an entirely different story. 

Pulling up in front of the smoking bright red truck, I turn off the engine. Closing my eyes, I twist my neck to relieve it from a knot that formed. I am no where near ready for this but like Wren has been saying over and over again for the past 10 minutes "like a Band-Aid" sounds easy, right? Wrong. This is not easy. Not even close.

Opening the door to my Range Rover, Wren is the first to get out and by the time I come up with the courage to get out he car, he is already talking to Chris. This is not how I imagine seeing him again, not after so long and God has he changed. I didn't think it was possible for him to get bigger than he was the last time I saw him but I'll be damned if he didn't prove me wrong. His eyes were still the same startling colour and his hair... god his hair, half of it was held up in a small bun on top of his head whereas the rest of it hung loosely barely scraping his shoulder, Arm folded across his strong chest that fills out his tightly-fit, plain white t-shirt and his jeans hung loosely on his narrow hips. My chest feels tight and I have this over-whelming feeling of pleasant pain that make sit hard for me to breathe. I'm surprised by the familiar fluttering feeling I get in my stomach; something I haven't felt in years, something I never thought I'd feel again. How is it that so much time has gone by and he still has the same effect on me? He hasn't even spoken to me. I haven't even heard his voice.

Slowly but surely, I step out of the car, feeling the stares I'm getting as I slam the car door shut and walk up next to Wren. Everything is eerily quiet and I can't help but say, pointing at he baby in a now blonde Alena's arms "Oh, so Wren didn't make the baby up just to get me to come" with a tone made of ice "but I will still leave you all to freeze to death, if you so much as look at me" I say pointing, but not looking, at Chris. "And you will die" I say, point at a snickering Wren.

--------------------------------------------------------

Well, that is a lot to take in. What did you think of Chris' PoV, I found it pretty hard to write due to the fact that I'm not used to writing from a guy's point of view but I hope to add in a few extra chapters or sections from Chris' perspective.

3 chapters in 1 day...I'm proud ngl

As always Vote, Comment and Share. Thanks!

XOXO

           Hidden-Alice