Chapter 48

We hopped out of the stolen car that Nash had used to transport Shawn and myself. I don't think I've fought the urge to smile that much in a single ride home, ever.

We walked up the steps to my house and my mom was pacing urgently in the kitchen when we walked in. 

"Are you guys okay?" She patted the three of our faces and ruffled my hair protectively. "Bart texted me in emergency. Something about being at gunpoint?"

"Mom," I grabbed her arm. When she breathed at a normal pace, I set my hands on her shoulders. "Everything's okay."

"Are you sure?" She placed her hand on the counter for stability. "They don't just text people like that to joke around."

"We'll explain tomorrow." Shawn yawned. "I'm beat."

"Same." Nash scratched his head.

Mom stared at the three of us silently for what seemed like forever. "Alright. And you're staying again tonight Nash?"

"Yes ma'am." He nodded. His face stiffened cautiously. "I mean, if that's okay with you." 

She walked toward the hallway and set her hand briefly on Nash's shoulder. "You're always welcome."

My mom was always known to embrace her feelings for others. Nothing made me happer than knowing that my mom approved of Nash, even though we weren't dating or anything.

"Goodnight," I smiled to my mom as she walked down the hallway.

"Goodnight my dear," she smiled back tiredly. As soon as her door clicked shut, I started up the stairs. 

"Where are you going?" Nash spoke sweetly from the bottom of the stairs. Shawn walked into the kitchen.

I grabbed the railing and swayed to the side, pulling my weight away from the wooden railing. "Bed."

Nash raised his eyebrows. "So soon?"

"It's late." I smiled. "You should get rest too."

He turned his head anxiously toward the kitchen as if to see if Shawn was near. "Well the guest room is upstairs. Maybe we could have a sleepover."

I shook my head and laughed quietly. "I don't think that's going to happen."

Quickly, he tiptoed up the stairs to my level and pecked a kiss on my cheek. "That's what you think sweetheart."

Before I could process what had happened, Nash hopped down the stairs and slid off into the kitchen to rendezvous with Shawn.

***

The clock struck midnight and my eyes were still open. Throat dry. Staring at the ceiling. My mouth couldn't rid itself of the faint smile engraved in its muscles. 

So this is what a crush feels like? I tried to deny myself of liking Nash in that sense, but I'd be a fool to believe I didn't. I'm stepping around my mental boundaries for this guy, and that's a first.

I rubbed my forehead tiredly and stepped onto my carpet. I didn't want to walk all the way downstairs to get some water, but that was obviously the only solution to what I wanted.

I walked out of my room quietly. I heard no noises, so I came to the conclusions that the two bone-headed boys finally fell asleep. That's good.

I tiptoed down the stairs, letting my heel slide down a few steps due to pure laziness.

I flicked the kitchen light on dimly and grabbed a glass. The tile floor was cold and untouched, waiting for someone to spread their warmth onto its surface.