Veronica Chapter 6

Sebastian grabs my arm and shoves me through the window. He follows quickly shutting it.

"We need to get far away from here now. I can't believe there bombing the building," he said pulling me down the ladder.

"Oh that was me," I said with an apologetic smile. "I'm really paranoid so I set traps every where."

"Well that's...." he starts, "that's really disturbing actually, but it's smart considering you've had multiple people trying to kidnap you." He shrugs guiding me down the steps.

"You being one of them," I counter.

"Hey you came willingly," he says defensively.

"Oh yeah and that knife up your sleeve is a letter opener," I say with a snort.

"That's... fair," he replies.

We scale down the fire escape. Only the last few steps are gone. I can feel his presence behind me. Before we can even speak the window next to us explodes throwing us off the fire escape.

I fall on top of him, the top of my head comes to his chin. His arms come around me in a protecting manor.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

I nod my head and ask, "Are you?"

"I'm fine. We need to get out of here," he says taking my hand and dragging me toward the outskirts of the city.

"Do you even know where we're going?" I question.

"Yes actually I do. There's an evacuation point in these woods," he replies pointing to the trees ahead.

"Then what are we waiting for. Let's go," I say marching off to the woods.

"I was waiting for you," he says not moving.

"Then why are you still standing there?" I ask with a smirk.

He lets out a frustrated sigh, and follows swiftly.

"So do you know the coordinates?" I question.

"Yes it's about two miles northwest," he says pointing the direction we are walking.

"So what do you need me for," I ask after a few minutes of silence.

"Well you have very good hacking skills and we need you to take down Black Dagger," he explains.

"Uh huh. You do realize that I'm 17, right?" I ask.

"I'm eighteen and I'm a level 8 agent," he counters.

"Fair enough. So what will you have me do?" I ask curiously.

"Oh I have no clue I was just sent to retrieve you," he says casually.

"What?" I demand, "They might kill me or something."

"We aren't going to kill you," he says, "If we were going to kill you you'd already be dead."

"Oh that's comforting," I say sarcastically.

"We're almost there," he says ignoring my comment.

Then before I can make any more witty comments the tree ahead of us explodes with the sound of a gun shot accompanying it.

"What was that," I ask in a panicked tone.

"They found us," he replied pulling the knife out.

"Good luck fighting two men armed with guns with a knife," I say sarcastically.

"I'm glad that in a life or death situation you still have your sarcasm," he reprimands.

"Who says that was sarcasm?" I lie, "I could be wishing you luck because if you die I die."

"Oh thanks for your confidence in me," he says sarcastically.

"I barely know you," I shout, "and who's being sarcastic now huh?"

"Will you shut up so I can save you," he shouts back.

It's about then when those two creepy guys run forward. I step back not want to get in the middle of this fight. I watch as the battle rages on.

Sebastian ducks and dodges all the attacks effortlessly. Bullets fly left and right I start backing up not wanting to get hit.  Meanwhile Sebastian ends up knocking patchy out, and scar face comes up from behind.

"Sebastian watch out," I yell.

He turns just in time to stop scar face from firing. They throw punches and kicks. I see blood dripping down Sebastian's face.

Sebastian ends up getting the gun away from him. After what feels like forever of watching them fight Sebastian knocks him out too.

Then I see patchy pull out his gun, and point it at Sebastian who stands in front of me coming my way.

"Behind you," I scream.

He roll out of the way just in time as the gun goes off. He turns and plunged the knife into patchy's stomach. Only I missed that part.

Pain shoots across my stomach. I look down and see blood spill out. I grasp my stomach. Sebastian still stands over the man with the eye patch.

"Um Sebastian," I squeak.

I start to fall, but he catches me before I hit the ground. He sets me down gently and takes off his jacket pressing the cloth to my abdomen.

"You're going to be fine," he says picking me up, and he starts speed walking the direction we were heading.

I hear him say something, but I don't know what. Everything is getting dim, and my ears seem like they're underwater because everything sounds muffled. The world gets darker and darker until it finally goes black.