Chapter 17

Max opened up the tribune Sunday afternoon and began to read.

Nathan walked in a bit late that Sunday.

"Sykes is late? Holy shit. You are usually the first one here mate." Tom said. "I ordered you a beer and it is as warm as piss now."

Nathan sat down smiling. "Sorry."

Max did a double take at the words in front of him.

Siva turned and watched Max's expression as he read Nathan's column.

"What the fuck is this rubbish?" Max asked still in disbelief.

Nathan seemed to be dazing off in thought.

"I already read it mate. Must have been a misprint." Tom said blowing it off.

Max began to read out loud.

"When you connect with someone all the rules don't apply?" Max read in disbelief. "What the fuck?"

Siva smiled and shook his head. He knew exactly what was going on even though he had not yet spoken to Nathan.

Nathan smiled to himself tracing the rim of the glass of beer on the table.

"Nathan, are you bloody serious?" Max asked glancing over at him.

"Leave him alone." Siva said in his defense.

Max glanced back at the column before him. "Oh and there is more." He said then continued. "Fucking on the first date doesn't have to be curse. It could be the start of something.....beautiful?"

"It is a fuck. End of story." Tom added. "Look at me and Kelsey. We slept together within an hour of meeting and that is why we are so fucked up. I can't commit to her. No fucking way."

This brought Nathan back from his thoughts. "Well maybe you two aren't made for each other."

Max's mouth slowly opened wide. "What the FUCK has gotten into you? Where is my mate? My mate who saw the world as it truly fucking is. Not this bloody rubbish." He said tossing the paper on the table.

Nathan sighed. "I'm still here. I just had a thought and I wrote about it...just like always." He explained.

"Well, I like it." Siva said with a reassuring smile.

Max shoved him playfully. "Don't encourage him."

Nathan received a text. A huge smile spread across his face as he read and then answered back.

"Alright, so who is this person. Male or female?" Tom asked.

Nathan lifted his head. "Male."

"What is his name?" Tom asked, continuing to probe.

Nathan looked hesitant. "I dunno if I want to reveal too much yet."

"Well you sure as shit didn't hold back in that." Max said referring to the paper.

"That is different." Nathan said.

Max rolled his eyes. "Well, I was hoping for some good advice. I fucked this bird a few days ago and I made the mistake of letting her stay the night."

"Oh god." Tom said shaking his head.

"I know." Max said rolling his eyes. "Now I've got a bloody stalker on my hands. She actually tried to get into the locker room after the game yesterday."

"You should just be honest with her." Siva suggested.

Max laughed. "Yeah, that will go over well. She will turn into a violent stalker."

"If you tell her nicely and..."

"Siva fucking stop." Max said as he stood up. "I need to piss." He said then walked off.

"Shit." Tom said looking at his phone. "Be right back."

Siva took the opportunity to move his seat next to Nathan so they could talk.

He leaned into Nathan's ear. "I'm happy for you mate."

Nathan blushed. "Thank you Seev, but it has just started so I don't want to put too much pressure on it."

Siva nodded. "I understand."

Nathan was happy that Siva understood and was supporting him.

"I can't wait to meet him."

Nathan smiled. "Me too mate."

"Oh Christ, it is the love birds chatting it up." Tom said then sat back down.

"Fuck off Tom." Siva playfully teased.

Tom laughed.

"Now get up so I can sit next to Nath."

Siva shook his head. "You sure you don't want to date him?"

Tom shoved him. "Fuck off Seev." he said, but this time he did not seem to be joking.

Siva shook his head then moved his seat.

"Dick." Tom said under his breath.

"He just does it to get a rise out of you mate." Nathan said to reassure him.

"Well he takes it too far sometimes." Tom admitted then chugged his beer.

Just then Nathan sent a response to a text from Curls.

"So is your best mate going to get the details on this lad?" Tom asked feeling a bit hurt in Nathan's secrecy.

"Soon mate. I promise okay?"

Tom nodded, clearly still hurt by his best mate with holding information from him.

Later that evening, Curls and Nathan were walking hand in hand down a busy street doing a bit of window-shopping.

Nathan just thought it was incredible to spend time with him like this.

"Is that Bird?" a voice said from behind them.

Curls turned and a smile spread across his face. "Mate, long time no see."

Curls let go of Nathan's hand then held it out and they shook hands.

There was a woman standing beside him.

"Hey, you remember Phyllis right?" the man said.

Jay smiled then gave her a friendly hug. "Yes."

There was a bit of awkward silence. Nathan turned to Jay hoping to be introduced, but Jay seemed to avoid it at all costs. "So, I see you two finally took the plunge."

Phyllis held up her left hand to showcase her wedding ring.

"Congratulations you two."

Nathan just smiled and stood by continuing to feel awkward.

The couple looked at him a few times then back and Jay waiting for an introduction. No such introduction happened.

"Well, it was nice seeing you two."

"You too." The man said then walked away with his new wife.

Curls grabbed Nathan's hand again and lead them to continue walking down the street.

"Who was that?"

"Oh just someone I went to school with." Curls said casually. "Hey, how about we get some ice cream?"

Nathan narration:

I decided not to tell him how bummed out I was that he did not introduce me to his friends. Perhaps they weren't that close and he felt awkward. The other idea was just too painful to think. He could be embarrassed of me or think of me as just someone he was hooking up with.

I tried to get these thoughts out of my head so I could enjoy the evening with someone I was incredibly into.