Chapter 9

Nathan narration:

The next day, I sat on a park bench with Tom enjoying an afternoon tea.

I had a deadline approaching and I needed his feedback.

----

"Okay, what about her?" Nathan asked.

Tom shrugged. "Seems a bit mousy."

Nathan looked unsure. "How can you tell something like that?"

Tom rolled his eyes. "Watch and learn." He said then shouted over to the woman. "Hey sexy mama!"

The girl turned a dark shade of red then looked down as she walked past.

Tom turned back. "Told you."

Nathan nodded. "I should have never doubted you."

Tom smiled feeling very proud of himself.

A woman with a tight skirt and heels was walking past them.

Tom winked at her and the woman smirked at him.

Nathan turned to him. "I have a question for you?"

Tom waited still checking out the woman.

"Is there ever a woman you think is....'out of your league'?"

Tom chuckled. "Probably most of um mate."

Nathan looked confused. "What? I mean you don't act like that."

"Exactly." Tom said. "I just go for it and see if I get lucky."

"Even if you pretty much know you are in over your head?"

Tom smiled. "Yeah. I mean how can you get anything great if you never take a risk?"

Nathan was in shock. Tom had actually made some sense. Not enough for Nathan to consider making a fool of himself going after people out of his league though.

Speaking of people out of his league. He could not stop thinking about Curls.

That night, Max had invited the lads to an endorsement party.

He was signing a contract for Umbro clothing. It wasn't adidas or nike, but it was still a reputable brand.

There were going to be many people out of my league here tonight, Nathan thought to himself as he sipped beer by the refreshment table.

Nathan glanced around the room and looked at all of the big wigs. Some had trophy wives while others were clearly looking to pick someone up for the evening.

Max's sports agent paraded him around the room like some sort of trophy.

At least Max seemed to be eating it up.

As Nathan took another sip of beer, he noticed Tom putting out all the stops with this blonde in the corner of the room.

You didn't' need to be a rocket scientist to see that she was seriously out of his league. He smiled knowing he was going to get so much material tonight for his column this week.

"I almost didn't recognize you without a drunken man hanging on you."

Nathan swallowed hard. It was him.

He turned slowly and gave Curls a nervous smile.

Curls gave him a smirk and took a sip of his own beer. "Fancy running into you again."

Nathan felt his face turning red. "Oh I'm here for my friend Max."

Jay's eyes widened. "Ah, I see. Friends with the footies are we?"

Nathan blushed. "Just him."

Jay nodded.

There was a bit of awkward silence.

"Um, so are you a sports fan?"

Jay smiled. "It's good PR for my business."

Nathan tried to act surprised like he didn't know all about him. "Aye?"

"Yeah. I usually get tons of invites to these events." He said then leaned into Nathan's ear making his heart race. "Honestly, I throw most of them out."

Nathan swallowed hard. "So why this one?"

He smirked. "I guess I just wanted to see your mate in a pair of tight shorts." He said wiggling his eyebrows as he took another sip of beer.

Nathan felt jealous at the comment. He honestly felt pathetic about how he was feeling.

"I'm sorry, I didn't' catch your name."

"Nath..Nathan." he said stumbling over his own name. Pathetic again.

Jay smiled. "I'm Jay. My mates call me bird." He said holding his hand out for a shake.

Nathan shook his hand and felt an instant rush.

How was this possible?

He was more excited by that handshake then many intimate times with lovers in the past.

"What do you do then?" Jay asked looking sincerely interested in what Nathan had to say.

"I write for the tribune."

Jay looked intrigued. "Yeah?"

Nathan nodded. "I write a column called Sex and Sykes." He said, his face turning beat red.

Jay raised an eyebrow. "Oh do you now?"

He nodded, clearly looking embarrassed.

He leaned in. "So, you must know a few things aye?"

Nathan thought he was going to faint.

Just then Curl's phone began to buzz.

He reached into his pocket to pull out his phone. "I'm sorry I've got to take this." He said waving at Nathan.

Nathan waved back then turned his back to Jay so he could compose himself.

Once he turned back, he could no longer see Curls.