Ch-30 ★Exit

Ch-30 ★Exit

King George Hospital, London

[Aulaura]

     The repugnant smell of antiseptics and medicine made me feel nauseated and dizzy. If it weren’t Jay's arm wrapped around my torso I would have collapsed a long time ago. He held me in the cage of his bones – the warm brown in his eyes would deepen whenever our gazes meet. My numb heart gave out a small squeeze, enough for me to know that it still lived inside me.

      A nurse walked guided us through the impeccable crowded halls of the hospital. Faded faces and white coats passed by in a blur. Samantha- the mere thought brought an avalanche of emotion to collapse upon me. I prayed with all my soul- for the heavens above to grant her my share of life- to let her survive so I could make amends with her.

      I couldn’t stop cursing myself. My temporary heart-ache had cost me my friend’s life. Stupid heart- stupid love- stupid me for falling into the whirling labyrinth.

       “Jay, she will be alright?” It wasn’t a question that needed an answer.

He exhaled, his arm slipping from my waist and taking my hand. “I hope so,”

      “What if she isn’t? What am I going to do then?”

Jay craned his neck to look at me, he smiled, solemnly. “She’s going to be fine,”

      “How do you know?” I whispered as I felt something heavy sit on the center of my chest.

He placed a tender kiss on my forehead. “I just do,”

      I didn’t question him after that because somewhere inside me- I knew this day was going to change a-lot of things. For the good, bad or ugly- only time will answer the questions looming above our heads.   

      ✩★✩★

Tension hung thick in the air when we arrived in the hall outside the ICU. Cold metal chairs and oppressively white wall greeted me. To say I felt sad and remorseful would be an understatement. I felt devastated, broken, and petrified. I couldn’t cry anymore- my eyes had run of out of tears. The beats of my heart were so painful that each every beat made my chest ache terribly.

      Samantha, I don’t know what I’ll do if you don’t make it. Please don’t leave. Just be alright.

Words looped inside my head in fragmented lines as I stared hard at the double doors of her room. The nurse bowed her head slightly. Jay muttered a silent thank you before she scurried off in the opposite direction.

 I spotted Matthew sitting on one of benches next to the door of ICU. Like a dead corpse, he sat still. I couldn’t even tell if he was breathing or not. His green eyes were now the color of red wine- from tears or stress- I don’t know.

He was staring at the bleach white wall, his lips in a grim line. Jay’s hand left mine-leaving the cold, hospital air to flow through my numb fingers.

He strode to his best-fried and patted his shoulder. Matthew looked up at Jay and let out a loud sob. My heart broke at the sound.

      “Sh-she- los-lost lot of blood. She’s not going to make it,” Words left Matthews’s mouth in  a blubbering mess.

Jay didn’t say anything and stood there silently behind Matthew. He looked just as broken as Matthew was. I could feel the pain and stress radiating off him.

I averted my eyes. Honestly, if I watched them any longer, I will break down right here, right now and no-one will be able to help me, not even Jay.