25| "It Affects Us."

Lyle

"I'm so proud of you." Mother gushed. I watched her swerve around my side of the table over to Gunnar where she strode by all prim and proper before setting a printed article smack down onto the table.

Dad lowered his newspaper and wrinkled his nose. His bushy eyebrows scrunched as his eyes narrowed on me. I silently shrugged as he turned to Mother. "What's this?"

"Our son shaking hands with a world-class surgeon at the grand opening of the hospital in Seattle." Mother beamed.

"Let me see that." Dad swiped the article and looked down, nodding as he read. "Huh. That's very wonderful."

"Yeah." Gunnar agreed with a mouthful of bacon in his mouth. I cringed not only because of the bad manners, but the fact he was consuming bacon. Now I wasn't a super vegan or nature's spirit reincarnated, however I still had standards. I wouldn't do fur clothing, certain meat from beloved animals, and of course, keep the activism from being too much. Speaking of which, I had to get going soon.

I quickly placed my dishes in the dishwasher and skedaddled only to be stopped.

"Where do you think you're going, young man?" Dad demanded.

"School."

"Good to know." He nodded before he kept reading. Unfortunately, he wasn't the only one with questions.

"Lyle, sweetheart... did you remember to pack your lunch?" Mother asked.

"I sure did."

"Anything else you'd like to tell me?"

Huh? My eyes went to the side before I swiveled around to see her standing with her arms crossed. Her cold, blue eyes really gave off that intimidating look when combined with her pale skin. It got my nerves all riled up to the point, I scratched my head and chuckled. "Um, I don't understand."

"The man that called last night." Mother answered in a stern tone. "He asked for you."

"Which man?"

She reached into her purse and pulled out a piece of paper with a number. One I recognized.

Uh oh, I gulped and looked back at Mother, who then asked. "Was that a friend?"

"Yes..." I slowly nodded. "A friend from school."

"He certainly doesn't sound like that, though I wouldn't put it past scoundrels like him."

"Scoundrels?" I exclaimed. "Are you saying he's trash?"

"No, he just doesn't seem too bright. Plus, he was a bit too flirtatious if you ask me."

Oh dear god, My jaw fell for a moment before I heard the bus pull up. Thank the lord! Saved by the bus. Hallelujah.

"Uh, I've gotta go." I bobbed my head to the right and forced a crooked smile, then bolted off.

My heart was racing even after I successfully made it onto the bus. I dodged a real bullet there. Hopefully he didn't say anything too damning otherwise I'd be toast again. Gunnar already bailed me out the first time by unconventionally claiming to them that my interest in boys was part of my schizophrenia. As upsetting as it was, that really was the best option to keep myself hidden. Leave it to Picasso Versace over here to nearly derail everything in one fell swoop.