4| "I Just Need To Feel Normal."

Lyle

"So...how are you feeling?" Mr. Caldwell asked while I sat there in the comfy, colorful bean bag and blankly stared forward. "I know you've had quite the day and you're more than welcome to–"

"It's fine." I nodded. "I didn't even want to be here, my teacher forced me."

"Teachers can't force you to do things."

"Alright then..." I sucked in my lips and corrected myself. "She very adamantly suggested I come here."

"Why is that?"

"She thinks I'm damaged."

"Do you believe that?" He asked but stopped and put his hand up. "Actually, let me go back. Did she say those exact words?"

"No, but Mrs. Krazinski doesn't hide her feelings well."

"She is known to be very blunt."

"I know. That's what I both love and hate about her." I revealed to him. "She won't step on eggshells for you though she doesn't really hold back either. I kind of wish I had that fire."

"The blunt honesty?"

I tilted my head to the left and shrugged. "Well that and finding my voice."

"I remember you telling me the last time we met, it was the sole reason you joined the animals rights group."

"Plus I love animals." I let my smile shine through. "They're so cute, innocent, and loving. They also have the freedom to be themselves."

"You don't believe you have that?"

"At least not in the same capacity as a lion." I couldn't help but chuckle and even snort a little too. "They can be themselves and own the land all while living like royalty."

"I'm assuming you hope to achieve that."

"I don't need to be royalty, I just need to feel normal." I sighed and continuously nodded after opening up about that. "Yeah... it's been a real struggle and has been for a very long time but I'm slowly getting there."

"Wonderful." Caldwell smiled before the phone went off and he picked it up. "Hello?"

I looked closely at the way his eyes twitched and went from more hopeful to a soft, worried demeanor. He turned away for a moment, stared my way for a bit, then nodded his head. "Alright, I'll tell him."

"Uh, what was that about?" I asked him while grabbing the nearest stuffed animal and holding onto it.

"I'm afraid there's been a problem."

He couldn't even look at me. He couldn't be bothered to look me in the eyes, it was that bad.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I've just been informed that the entire team has denied involvement."

"Not everyone was involved..." I slowly shook my head. "No. That's not-but he saw–"

"Even the last witness that arrived before you did, confirmed he didn't see anything."

Johnny... I looked down for what seemed to be an eternity. I was surprised to hear that yet at the same time, I wasn't.