21| "I'm A Person Too."

Johnny

After the smashing success of this year's Homecoming dance, we were finally able to rest. Everyone came back on a high even with all the shit that happened. Lyle was able to enjoy the dance with me by his side, Aria discovered that we sold the most tickets than any other year, and best of all...I wasn't as injured as I thought I'd be. On the other hand, I basically quit the team and found myself with shit plastered on my locker. How's that for irony?

"Oh no. It happened again?" Lyle asked as he walked past my locker. I had stared for a solid five minutes at the eggs smashed on it and the red spray-painted words such as loser, traitor, and for the win... retard.

"Yep." I nodded and turned away to see some of the guys snickering. I had my fist ready only to find Lyle stepping forward and confronting them himself. Now I had to admit, as awkward as it was, I really loved having a sidekick like him especially in my time of need.

"Do you really find this all that funny? I sure don't."

"Well nobody cares what you think, loser." Bruce fired back.

Lyle was about to give him a verbal smackdown only to shake his head and scoff. "Not worth it."

"What'd you say, you little bitch?" Gary scowled as him, Bruce, and Wes planned to gang up on Lyle. Probably make him into their own mincemeat sandwich. That would happen over my dead body.

I came right up to those guys and said, "How about you just go back to stroking each other's dicks?

"Oh you fags would like that, huh?" Wes responded in a mocking tone.

"Nah, this guy right here prefers real men," I said while confidently patting Lyle on the back.

"You can say that again."

The five of us were now at a standoff. Each of us exchanging death glares while remaining silent. I'd say it was the Wild West out here except we were in the middle of hallway and other people were talking, minding their own business. Bruce finally cracked as he grumbled. "Come on guys, let's go. I can't stand looking at them any longer."

"Yeah, the one dude creeps me out." Gary remarked.

"You're welcome." Lyle responded with a friendly wave. Once they were gone, both of us laughed.

"Damn, that was intense," I said once they were gone.

"I know." Lyle laughed. His face was so red, he could be a stop sign. "I almost forgot to breathe."

"Same here." I nodded.

We both walked down the hall and prepared to go our separate ways until someone came over panting like a dog.

"Are you okay?" I asked the guy who wiped off his sweaty forehead before handing us two pink slips.

"Normack wants to see you guys."

"Oh, it's probably about Homecoming." Lyle told me.

"Yeah, why wouldn't it be? What, did he get a new rug too?"

"He sure did." This unnamed kid forced a smile while we stared him down. "Alrighty then, I'll just go."

After he left as fast as he arrived, I turned to Lyle. "So, should we go see what's up this time?"