9| "I Have Friends."

Lyle

"Wait up!" I shouted while scrambling out the door for my bus as fast as I could. By the time I shut the door, it began driving away. I sprinted down the sidewalk like a maniac, trying to catch up only for it to disappear out of sight.

"Oh." I moaned and grabbed my knees. I couldn't stop panting. I really needed to work out more. Maybe Johnny–No!

I shook my head. For a moment, the events of last Wednesday escaped me. Then I remembered, we weren't friends. Not in the least bit. Never. Okay, maybe some day. It depends on if him and I find more common ground because as of now, we were polar opposites. Speaking of opposites, I should probably stop thinking of other unimportant matters and find a way to school.

"Hmm..." I thought aloud as I looked around for possible ways of getting there. Then I saw my Dad's car and felt my heart jump.

Uh oh, I ducked behind the hedges as he came outside. Typically, I'm on the bus by then though that didn't happen. Dad was going to be so upset because he's adamant on punctuality. It didn't help matter that I had a bad history of tardiness in the past which were sometimes my fault while life did the rest. I couldn't be grounded, especially since I had a puppy parade thing to promote. Ugh, I'm such a loser.

As Dad pulled out of the driveway, I bolted down the road and turned the corner. I heard his car pass by where he luckily didn't–Never mind. He did see me.

"Lyle?" He called out as he rolled down his window.

I tried turning away though he honked the horn and yelled. "I know it's you!"

Rats, I closed my eyes tight before reluctantly making my way over and telling him the truth. "Sorry Dad. I missed the bus."

"They didn't wait for you?"

"No, but I almost made it." I closed one eye and clenched my teeth together in the hopes he wouldn't be too mad.

Dad faced forward for the longest time before letting out a deep breath. "Get in the car."

"Oh thank you–"

He grunted and put his hand out to stop me from speaking then he said, "You might need to hold onto something."

"Why?"

"We've got limited time 'cause you're not the only one running late today."

He looked me in the eyes before revving up the car. I quietly put on my seatbelt as we flew down the road. I held onto the upper handle for dear life and let out a few shrieks here and there until we made it to school in record time.

"Now, do you see why it pays not to miss the bus?" He asked completely unfazed by his own driving.

"Yeah." I nodded while I had both hands clutched onto the handle. Eventually, I let go and wobbled a little once I got out.

"Get you work done!" Dad shouted before he took off. It was his way of saying goodbye.

"You too." I responded despite that he was long gone. I held my head and made it inside where I found my table and slowly set things up. Everything was going swimmingly until a certain something wasn't here.