It sounded like the whistle of a train

The gates were beginning to close.

"Iolani Tori," Reux began as though he was the author of Io's story and every word was within his control. "A trolley is hurtling down the railway track towards your most treasured friend."

"No, no no more no—"

He crawled towards the gate but he was far.

"But not to worry," the shrike laughed. He was the happiest he'd ever been. "You can choose to divert the trolley onto a different set of tracks by pulling on a lever!"

"Stop...please."

It was far off but approaching and he knew the decision had to be made but all of a sudden the phantom had disappeared and before him was an old-fashioned lever.

"On this railway track, five cute little strangers have foolishly gotten themselves tied up and are laid obediently in the path of the trolley. Very convenient." The stone gates on both sides of the wall were sliding to a close. Half of the Box remained in sight and Io could feel the weight of the world upon his shoulders. "Now, tell me."

"Would you pull the lever?"

_______________________

This was it. This was the nightmare that he'd struggled to examine and come to terms and make sense and accept and face.

Then, Iolani Tori had assumed the answer to be painfully obvious and the question, awfully simple. Now, it proved to be the hardest one yet. Pure rationality and thought was not enough to solve the dilemma at hand. Consequentialism was not going to help him. Utilitarianism was not going to help him. Mere concepts were not of any use to him at present for they were, naturally and overtly so, intangible concepts.

"Would you like me to identify who, exactly, the trolley is about to kill?" Reux prompted upon a second of silence, relishing in the pain that was written all over Io's face.

"I don't need you to tell me who I deem most important," snapped the latter in a scream. "I know that better than anyone else."

"Well then, the trolley doesn't stop for anyone." Reux looked towards the closing gates. "In ten seconds, it will kill...someone?" He chuckled to himself. "Which depends on your answer, of course—" There wasn't enough time for him to cross back into the jaws of the arena. Io was too far.

But if he could change the future—

change the vision that he saw—

see Luka again—

the time was now.

"Yes."

"Yes, I'll pull it."

"And kill the five?"

"YES."

6

5

An eerie smile—wide and uncanny—possessed his lips.

4

"Thank you, Iolani. I now know the kind of person you are."

3

2

"But have you ever thought—"

1

"What if the lever was broken?"

Congratulations, you saved the five.

By accident.