28 - The Risk

On their way back Hunter ensures Chloe he understands why she couldn't believe that anyone on the farm would endanger her life. It is quite clear that everybody is mad about her and he now cannot envisage any of them would harm her.

Isaac's BMW is parked in front of his house when they reach the island. Probably busy to prepare the dinner for tonight! Hunter wants to leave for George at first light. When he walks over to his car to leave, Chloe pushes a roll of R200 notes in his trousers' pocket. He stops just before he gets into the Mercedes to see what Chloe was up to. He takes out the notes.

"Goodness, Chloe! Don't be daft! This is way too much."

"Take it, or else I will fire you."

Hunter only shakes his head and smiles: "Promise me you are going to be very alert, my girl."

"I promise, I shall really, Hunter."

Chloe immediately takes a shower and later she stands in front of her wardrobe and ponders indecisively what she is going to wear. She suspects Isaac plans something romantic and she wonders whether she should try that audacious evening dress and high heels. Hayley bought it for her as a birthday present and it took serious persuasion before she eventually relented because she has never worn dresses and make-up. Hayley even chose the appropriate make-up and dragged her to her home where she showed her to put on the make-up because she argued that a day will come when the right man crosses Chloe's path and then she must be ready to floor him.

No, that dress it hopelessly too daring but what is she going to wear? What if he is dressed smartly and she enters with her usual tomboy clothes? It won't work. She now realizes that she only has that one dress because she always wears trousers and shirts! This is a major problem! She has never thought about this. She is not ready for the man's world. Shit! What now?

Chloe jumps when her smartphone rudely awakes her out of her deep thoughts. She grabs it and sees it is Isaac and it is 7:30 already. Only half an hour left. She feels a little bewildered and wonders why she feels this way.

"Hello, Isaac, how are things at that side? Have you phoned me to tell me you've burnt the food?"

"I want to see you in a nice dress this evening because you always wear that damn tomboy farm girl rubbish! Just tell me if you don't have a dress and I will go and buy one for you at this moment together with a pair of smart shoes."

The detestable pest! Is there any limit to his blatant arrogance?

"You don't even say: Hi, Chloe, how are you? You just barge in and criticize my clothing without shame! You conceited hooligan! The next punch might hit you at a far more sensitive and strategic place! Be warned, Doctor!"

Isaac is splitting his side at the other end. "And if I ask like a dear, sweet boy? Chloe, I would have liked to see you in a dress from the first day we have met. Please, I'm asking you so meekly, no, I'm pleading, please, please."

"Do you now try the mockingbird trick? It seems to me you are trying to mock me. I'll pluck your feathers, little bird! Don't try me!"

"I am serious, Chloe, I will buy one. Let me leave everything here and we go and buy you a dress, okay?"

"To tell you the truth, Isaac, I am standing here now deciding how I must dress when you phoned but it sounds very dangerous that you want me in a dress. I am wondering whether I must hide my pistol somewhere."

Isaac laughs heartily. "Hunter thinks you are dangerous enough barehanded. I believe him, after all, he is a detective and a war veteran and I don't want to lose my manhood."

"Well, I am glad you realize what you have on your hands! Okay, Isaac, I've got an ancient dress that I inherited from my great- grandmother's mother. The colors have vanished because of age but they still call it a dress. They said it was made in the 18th century."