22 - Meet the intruders

On the veranda, Chloe deeply inhales the aromas of the woods. It is overcast, but no rain has been forecasted. They awoke early this morning and she treated Hunter to an enjoyable breakfast. Isaac has already left with his BMW. She is now looking at Hunter's Mercedes disappearing along the bush road on his way to Robert's place. She wonders when Hunter will return.

After quite a while she begins to worry about Hunter. He has been gone for a long time. She hasn't visited Robert's place before, therefore, she doesn't know how far it is.

She also wonders how Hunter is communicating with Robert who has no voice and can't talk. She didn't ask Hunter about that. Who says Robert will agree to Hunter's elaborate plans to safeguard the place? Still standing and wondering she suddenly sees Hunter coming down the bush road. He stops and with a 'come here' gesture with his arm, invites her to join him.

Chloe closes the front door unlocked and walks towards Hunter who smiles at her friendly when she reaches him. "Follow me, Chloe. We are going to Roberts's place. He dearly wants to show us something."

"Really, has Robert truly agreed to all your mad plans, Hunter?"

He winks at her. "He is glad that I'm taking the initiative. Actually, he is worried about you. He couldn't out of his own do something because Mrs. Kennedy doesn't want to spend money on this place anymore. He is constantly wondering whether you are all right, but doesn't want to be a nuisance and keeps to himself. He is eager to help, Chloe."

"Oh ..." Chloe is amazed.

She has just begun to wonder how vast the smallholding is because they have walked for some time in the bush path when they eventually reach an opening in the woods between the giant blue gums. And there Robert's cute stump house stands with his brown Dodge next to it. She sees a narrow road that disappears between the trees and now realizes that this must be a road connecting with the main road somewhere. That is why she never sees Robert's Dodge. It is only the footpath through the bush that connects her and Robert's places.

Inquisitively Chloe asks: "What is it that Robert wants to show us, Hunter?"

"I told him about your trouble with the nightly intruders that come through the attic windows and then he told me he has a surprise for us which he wants to show us."

Chloe frowns with a question mark all over her face. "Hunter, you must please explain how you chat with each other. He has no voice."

"Robert uses sign language which I know very well, so we have no problem. He can hear so I speak normally and he uses sign language."

In amazement, she shakes her head: "Unbelievable!"

The front door of the cute stump home opens and Robert comes out limping and stops right in front of them. He really is clad in the same clothes she had seen him for the first time at Mrs. Kennedy's salon. As usually he just looks at them with his emotionless, mutilated face and it sends shivers through Chloe. She wonders how on earth it came about that Hunter befriended this man so that he visited him, just like he did with her father, when he was around. This man is so weird and she can't help herself; he gives her the jitters. Once again she is thankful that Isaac has moved in and that she is not stranded alone with this recluse.

Robert gazes straight at Chloe, starts talking in sign language and Hunter translates: "Chloe, you probably think I am a very strange man because I lost all my face muscles and can't show emotions. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised when my old friend, Hunter, arrived to be my voice for a short while. We always chat a lot. Hunter told me your life could be in danger. I gave him my smartphone number so that you can phone or text me whenever you need me. I am available for most of the time and I am the nearest to you. I can whistle, so I will whistle once for 'yes' and twice for 'no'. Okay, or else I will text. Hunter promised to get walkie-talkies and I will do the same with it."

He stops signing and for a moment he seems to hesitate. Then he proceeds.

"I have a voice now for a short while, so I will say what I can to you." He pauses for a second and then speaks: "Chloe, you are the loveliest human being in many instances. You are our princess of the forest." He suddenly bows in front of her like a French knight would have bowed in front of his princess in a sword fight film.

Chloe blushes and laughs heartily: "No Robert! What are you doing? I'm not a princess. I'm only Chloe Eastwood." Hunter is looking on with a big smile on his face.

Robert straightens and continues with sign language and Hunter again translates. "Come, my princess. Follow me. I want to show you two something very special in the forest."

He turns around and starts walking to what looks like another footpath through the woods.

They follow Robert who walks with limping treads slowly deeper into the forest. Chloe suddenly has a warm feeling for him and she is a bit cross with herself for judging him on his outward appearance. She wonders about the thing he wants to show them.

The trees around them are very tall and no direct sunlight penetrates the foliage so that it is quite dark even if it is broad daylight outside. Robert frequently scrutinizes the treetops and Chloe tries to see what he is looking for but sees nothing. Suddenly he stops and points in the direction of a specific tree.

They stop and gaze at the tree but she doesn't see anything strange. Robert moves around her and looking over her shoulder, takes her arm and points with her own hand where she must focus. Chloe concentrates hard and blinks her eyes and then suddenly she sees something grey showing amongst the foliage. Then it moves and she sees another piece of grey and suddenly something jumps from one treetop to another and vanishes.

"I see it, Robert, I see it!" she shouts excitedly.

Eventually, she realizes what exactly hides in the foliage when she sees a few monkeys looking inquisitively down when they hear her excited shouts. "It is the cute monkeys there high in the treetops! Goodness, Robert. If you haven't shown us, we would never have known about their existence!"

Robert comes and stands in front of them and continues in sign language. "The monkeys hide in the high trees because I shoot at them when they become tame and they are full of mischief and takes over completely if you allow them. They are very clever and easily become a pest. They open windows and even doors of cupboards or fridges and do much damage if you are not careful. Keep your doors and windows locked, because they open them easily even if it is the attic windows. We must fit those latches on the windows because these rascals saw when you moved in and discovered that they can enter to get at your groceries, Chloe."

Chloe laughs out loudly and happily about the relief that his words bring. Robert has just given her the explanation for all her ghosts!

"So, it's these monkeys. The footsteps that sound like small children's. The bead curtains that move in the middle of the night. The windows that I found open up in the attic. The photo that lies face down. This is all the work of these naughty monkeys. I knew there must be a logical explanation. Thank you so much, Robert!"

Impulsively she comes forward and unexpectedly lands a little kiss on Robert's mutilated cheek and then she realizes she was too forward and steps back. "Oh, sorry Robert, please forgive me."

Robert says in sign language: "I'm at your service, my princess." He bows politely like a knight before his princess.

Chloe smiles happily and jokingly give him a little slap on the shoulder.

"Thank you, my brave knight."