42. Unpleasant

The three-o'clock visiting hour is a wonderful experience! They all are happy about Zoey's recovery and also that Lyle is present. Hayley probably ran through a whole box of tissues; pure snot and tears of happiness. Leo brought a lush bunch of roses and a box of chocolates for both Zoey and Lyle each. Ronnie is quite upset by her purple arm from all the holes caused by the injections and drips. Later on, he visits the hospital's shop downstairs and buys earphones so that Zoey can listen in to the overhead TV.

Back at Isaac's place, Chloe phones him to enquire which smart clothes she should bring for supper on the farm. Isaac has already requested him that they should act as a smitten pair. Isaac guys with her that she should act like a good housewife and select what he should wear. Were he nearer, she would have slapped him! She suspects that this teaser is looking a little bit too eagerly forward to this evening.

Chloe is thankful that she washed the dress she wore that evening at Isaac's. She waits until the right moment to smarten up behind a closed bedroom door. She feels a bit shy and scared because Lyle has never seen her in a dress before and this sensuous dress reveals hopelessly too much.

Chloe finally looks at herself in the life-size mirror just as Lyle knocks on the door.

"When are we leaving for the hospital, Chloe."

"In a moment, Lyle, I've just dressed for the supper tonight. I'm finished. Remember to take your bag with. You are going to go with Uncle Hunter and sleep over at his place. He's taking you to the hostel tomorrow morning."

"My bag is already at the front door, Chloe!"

Chloe now opens the door and Lyle's eyes widen and his jaw drops and he stands like a statue transfixed and eyes her up and down as if he can't believe what he sees.

Chloe slaps him tenderly on the cheek. "Close your mouth! Just in case a bug flies into it. Come, are you ready? Do me a favour and bring that bag on my bed along. Isaac's clothes for tonight are in there and also some snacks for your mom."

Lyle still stands and stares in a trance and she bumps him. "Get the bag now, Lyle! You are standing there like a statue! Are you retarded or what?"

***

Lyle felt a little down after the last visit to his mother. Hunter waited for them outside the ward. They went to the prayer room where Hunter with Chloe told him the sad news about his father. Lyle took it much better than Chloe had expected. Lyle was very relieved to learn that it was not his father who pushed them over the cliff and Hunter ensured him that soon he will catch the perpetrators. Isaac joined them and changed his clothing and they decided to leave the Cooper for now at the hospital and take the BMW to the farm. They will get the mini when they come back.

Isaac stops with his magnificent sports model in front of the farmhouse and Chloe is thankful that she had asked Ronnie to lock the dogs behind the fence this evening. They can get out of the vehicle unhindered. She sees her three friends waiting on the veranda for them. They are now coming closer surprised to see the expensive car and the stranger because they only expected Chloe and Lyle in the Cooper.

The three of them have already reached the car before they have the chance to get out. Lyle jumps out quickly before Isaac gets the opportunity and opens Chloe's door. She feels self-conscious to get out before his eyes with this split in her dress. Her leg is exposed up to her hip and as graciously as possible she climbs out. Lyle doesn't look away as she pulls herself out of the very low BMW and balances herself carefully on the thin, high heels.

Ronnie and Leo are now standing just behind Lyle staring while Hayley is on the other side of the car waiting for Isaac to emerge.

Leo is the first to get words out: "Who is this beautiful lady, Lyle? Is Miss South Africa visiting us?"